On Saturday, Lou Palmisano went 1-for-4 with a double and Brent Brewer went 1-for-3 with a walk as Surprise returned the favor, 10-8. David Welch pitched two scoreless innings in relief, giving up just one hit and striking out four.
The AFL is off on Sundays to give the players a chance to do some early Christmas shopping. The Javelinas play at Mesa at 1:35 today. The AFL season ends on Thursday.
In Hawai'i: Friday, Caleb Gindl went 3-for-4 with a walk, his fifth AFL home run and three RBI, and Logan Schafer went 0-for-3 as the CaneFires defeated North Shore 6-5.
Saturday's final game of the regular season was rained out.
Then, on Sunday, Caleb Gindl went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and a GIDP and Cody Scarpetta allowed two runs on four hits and three walks in just 2.1 innings to pick up the loss as the CaneFires lost the HWB Championship game to Waikiki, 5-1. Chris Cody pitched in relief and threw 3.2 scoreless innings, giving up just one hit and striking out two.
With that, the Hawai'i Winter Baseball season has concluded. I'm hoping to write a season recap later today.
In Mexico: Casey McGehee stretched his hitting streak to sixteen games, going 5-for-11 over the weekend with a double, two walks, two home runs and four RBI. He's hitting .331/.354/.562 for Culiacan.
In Venezuela: All stats are from Thursday-Sunday.
- Alcides Escobar went 3-for-7 with three walks and a double for Lara. He's now hit in five straight games to bring his numbers back up to .233/.313/.288 in Venezuela.
- Tony Gwynn went 3-for-7 with two walks, a stolen base and three runs scored for Magallanes. He's hitting .317/.406/.366 in Venezuela, including .429/.556/.524 in 26 plate appearances against lefties.
- Hernan Iribarren went 3-for-11 over the weekend with three walks, a stolen base and two runs scored. He's hitting .333/.417/.505 for Lara.
- Brendan Katin returned from five days off to go 0-for-6 with a run scored for Zulia. He's currently 0-for his last-12 and has slipped to .235/.330/.642 in VWL play.
- Brad Nelson went 0-for-3 on Friday, his only action of the weekend. He's still hitting .306/.375/.750 in DWL play, including .390/.444/.829 in 45 plate appearances against righties.
- Joe Bateman pitched an inning for Este on Saturday, giving up one run on two hits. He's still 3-0 with a 3.60 ERA in 15 DWL innings. In Puerto Rico: All results are from Thursday-Sunday.
- Carlos Corporan went 0-for-7 with three strikeouts.
- Martin Maldonado went 1-for-3 with an RBI on Saturday.
- Mike Rivera went 0-for-6 with four strikeouts, but did walk twice and score a run for Santurce.
- Steve Bray picked up his first win Sunday, throwing two perfect innings with two strikeouts for Carolina. He has yet to allow an earned run in nine PWL innings.