Thursday, the Brewer bats came to life. Brent Brewer went 2-for-4 with two solo home runs, and Lou Palmisano went 3-for-4 with a solo shot. David Welch pitched 1.2 scoreless innings and the Javelinas won their season finale 13-6 over Phoenix.
The Javelinas did not qualify for postseason play. I'll have an AFL recap sometime in the coming days.
In Mexico: Casey McGehee went 2-for-4 with a single and an RBI Wednesday, extending his hitting streak to 18 games.
- Alcides Escobar went 1-for-5 and was caught stealing for Lara Wednesday. He's hit in eight straight games.
- Tony Gwynn went 1-for-5 and struck out three times for Magallanes Wednesday. He's striking out once every 3.6 AB in VWL play.
- Hernan Iribarren walked and was caught stealing in his only plate appearance for Lara Thursday.
- Brendan Katin went 3-for-9 over the last two days for Zulia, scoring a run and striking out three times.
In Puerto Rico:
- Mike Rivera is now 0-for his last 14 after going 0-for-4 with a strikeout Wednesday.
- Richie Gardner also continues to struggle, giving up seven runs on eight hits and two walks in 3.1 innings of work Wednesday.