Then, on Saturday, Brent Brewer went 0-for-2 in his AFL debut, Lou Palmisano went 2-for-2 with an RBI, David Welch allowed two hits and a walk but struck out two in a scoreless inning of work and Omar Aguilar pitched his sixth consecutive scoreless inning in the Javelinas' 13-3 loss to Mesa.
The AFL was off Sunday so the players would have the full day to learn why Arizona doesn't participate in Daylight Savings Time. The Javelinas host Surprise at 8:05 tonight.
In Hawai'i: No Brewer activity on Friday and the CaneFires lost 3-2 to Waikiki.
On Saturday, Logan Schafer went 1-for-4 with a walk and drove in a run as the CaneFires won a wild one, 13-8.
Then, on Sunday, Caleb Gindl went 2-for-4 with a double, scored twice and drove in a run, and Logan Schafer went 2-for-4 with a run but it wasn't enough as Chris Cody gave up four runs on six hits with six strikeouts in five innings of work and Waikiki came from behind to win 6-5.
Hawaii Winter Baseball is off on Monday so the players can canvass for their favorite presidential candidates, but the CaneFires host Honolulu on Tuesday.
- New Brewer Casey McGehee has been spending his fall playing third base for Culiacan. He went 4-for-16 over the weekend and is hitting .284/.303/.365 overall down there.
- Chris Narveson started for the fourth time for Hermosillo on Friday and picked up a tough luck loss, giving up two runs on five hits and striking out eight in seven innings. He has a 4.87 ERA in Mexico in 20.1 innings of work.
- Erasmo Ramirez pitched a full scoreless inning for Guasave for only the second time in nine appearances. He has a 6.00 ERA and has allowed ten hits in six innings in Mexican Pacific League play.
- Chris Woodward made his Mexican debut Sunday, going 1-for-4 with a run scored for Mazatlan.
- Alcides Escobar went 1-for-6 over the weekend and is 1-for his last 14 for Lara. He's hitting .176/.232/.235 in 51 ABs in Venezuela.
- Jay Gibbons went 3-for-4 with a double and a walk on Friday, but went 0-for-5 over Saturday and Sunday for Magallanes. He's hitting .204/.338/.463 in Venezuela, largely because he's only hitting .130/.310/.261 against lefties.
- Tony Gwynn went 6-for-13 over the weekend with a double, a walk and four strikeouts for Magallanes. He's hitting .339/.391/.403 in VWL play.
- Hernan Iribarren is on fire, going 7-for-14 with three triples, six runs scored, a stolen base and a caught stealing for Lara. He's hitting .362/.433/.586 in 66 plate appearances.
- Brendan Katin is also staying hot, going 5-for-10 over the weekend, including a 4-for-6 performance with a double and two home runs for Zulia Sunday. He's hitting .254/.338/.695 in Venezuela and leads the league in home runs with 8.
In the Dominican Republic: From Thursday-Saturday's action:
- Ozzie Chavez went 1-for-4 with a walk over three appearances for Este. He's hitting .269/.424/.385 in DWL play.
- Brad Nelson must be seeing the ball pretty well. On Thursday he went 4-for-4 with a double, a triple and two home runs, driving in seven. He also went 2-for-3 with a walk and a double Saturday. He's hitting .326/.383/.814 in the Dominican, and ranks in the top three in HR, RBI and OPS.
- Joe Bateman pitched in back to back games Friday and Saturday for Este, pitching a scoreless inning and a third with a walk on Friday and another scoreless two thirds on Saturday despite a hit and two walks.
- Sam Narron had a rough start Friday, giving up six runs on seven hits in just 1.1 innings for Este.