The Blog That Shall Not Be Named provided a summary of yesterday's daily briefing with Doug Melvin. Follow the link for the details, but the highlights are:
- Brewers aren't likely to bring back Shouse or especially Sheets.
- Moustache is looking for one starter and one reliever. I'm assuming the reliever is someone who can close, as they seem to be reluctant to use any in-house candidates for that role. I'm a little surprised that we're only looking for 1 starter, though, unless we plan to address our starting pitcher depth later.
- The Brewers had discussed Randy Johnson, Vicente Padilla, Kevin Millwood, Trevor Hoffman, and Brian FUentes, but don't expect any of them to sign with Milwaukee anytime soon. Johnson and FUentes seem the closest, but the Big Randy Unit wants to play out west, and FUentes wants mad money (more than Kerry Wood's 2 years/$20 million deal).
- Nothing's cooking with Seattle or San Francisco.
- Expect the Brewers to pick up a Rule 5 player in today's draft, probably a pitcher.
- They have a plan on how to handle Chris Capuano, but aren't saying. Unless they non-tender him, it sounds like they'll owe him $3 million, so they'll probably work out an incentive-laded deal in its stead.
I have to say, it's a little discouraging to list a bunch of players who won't sign with us so soon after CC, well, didn't sign with us. Granted, Padilla is bad and Millwood's worse, and signing either of them would be disastrous in a rotation that already has Suppan. Still, when the suck-os don't want to sign with us...