- Alcides Escobar went 5-for-11 over the weekend with a stolen base and a run scored. He's now batting .398/.438/.503 in 173 VWL PAs.
- Mat Gamel went 0-for-3 with a strikeout on Saturday. He's hitting .211/.266/.447 in 41 PAs.
- In his first action in eight days, Hernan Iribarren went 1-for-5 with a double over the weekend. He's hitting .310/.367/.450 in 186 PAs.
- Third baseman Edgar Trejo, who split the 2009 season between Wisconsin and Helena, debuted for La Guaira yesterday and went 1-for-4.
There are two days remaining in the VWL regular season, with the top four teams advancing to postseason play. Caracas (Gamel) has clinched a spot in the playoffs, as has La Guaira, but Lara (Escobar, Iribarren) likely won't make it.
In the Dominican Republic:
- Erick Almonte went 2-for-13 with four strikeouts over the weekend, dropping his DWL line to .325/.457/.452 in 194 PAs.
- Carlos Gomez went 0-for-9 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI, dropping his line to .275/.373/.374.
- Angel Salome made his debut for Este on Friday, going 0-for-1.
- New Brewer Matt Treanor is also spending his offseason with Este. He's hit .250/.500/.250 in 12 PAs spread over seven games, and last appeared on December 6.
- Juan Sandoval pitched two perfect innings on Friday. He's posted a 3.24 ERA in 16.2 innings, with a 1.38 WHIP, eight strikeouts and three walks.
- Claudio Vargas pitched a scoreless inning in relief on Sunday for Aguilas. He has yet to allow a run in 7.1 innings of work.
The Dominican regular season ended yesterday, with Escogido (Gomez), Cibao (Almonte) and Este (Salome, Treanor) advancing to postseason play, and Aguilas (Vargas, Halama) and Estrellas (Sandoval) eliminated.
- Luis Cruz went 3-for-11 over the weekend with a double, two walks, an RBI and a caught stealing. He's hitting .319/.366/.465 in 200 PAs.
- New Brewer Kameron Loe is spending the winter with Mexicali. He's posted a 3.20 ERA in 25.1 innings, with a 1.38 WHIP, 13 strikeouts and five walks. He last pitched on December 15.
In Puerto Rico:
- Martin Maldonado went 1-for-4 with a walk and scored his first PWL run on Saturday. He's hitting .132/.233/.132 in 41 PAs.
- Hiram Burgos started on Friday, allowing one run on seven hits in 5 innings, walking two and striking out five. He picked up the loss. He has a 2.48 ERA in 32.2 innings, with a 1.24 WHIP, 26 strikeouts and seven walks.
- Efrain Nieves pitched two innings of relief on Saturday, allowing a run on three hits and a walk, striking out two. He's posted a 4.70 ERA in 7.2 innings.