EDIT: I will include the actual arbitration dollars and the date on which they are agreed after the estimates I have given when they are final. Until then, I will list the CLUB/PLAYER submissions.
I was bored yesterday, so I put this stuff together using information from Cot's, and best-guesses on arb awards. Really, the point is to create discussion. Understandably some folks won't agree with some of what I've got, and that's OK with me. The first paranthetical is the arbitration year the player is in going into 2010. The second is last year's arbitration award. The total adds up to about
$75.84M, $82.893M but that could be subject to change as I'm not entirely familiar with league minimum contracts based on service time and etc., and the Brewers internal rules for renewing contracts.
C - Gregg Zaun - $1.9M
C - George Kottaras - $400k
1B - Prince Fielder - $11M
2B - Rickie Weeks - $2.85M (arb 2) ($2.45M) ($2.75M on 1/18)
SS - Alcides Escobar - $400k+
3B - Casey McGehee - $400k+
IF - Adam Heether - $400k
IF - Craig Counsell - $2.1M
LF - Ryan J. Braun - $1.29M
CF - Carlos Gomez - $1.5M (arb 1) ($437.5k) ($1.1M on 1/18)
RF - Corey C. Hart - $4M (arb 2) ($3.25M) ($4.15M/$4.8M)
OF - Jody Gerut - $2M (arb 2) ($1.775M) ($2M on 1/18)
SP - Doug Davis - $4.25M
RP - Trevor Hoffman - $7.5M
RP - David Riske - $4.5M
RP - Todd Coffey - $2M (arb 2) (900k) ($2.025M on 1/23)
RP - LaTroy Hawkins - $3.5M
RP - Mitch Stetter - $413k
RP - Carlos Villanueva - $1M (arb 1) ($800k/$1.075M)
RP - Claudio Vargas - $900k
2010 commitments to others:
David Weathers (option buyout): $400k
Bill Hall (estimate left on contract less Mariner's contribution): $7.15M
Braden Looper: $100k
More after the jump, if you care to read on!
I am assuming J.J. Hardy will get traded. No I didn't include the player who will take his place anywhere, since I've no idea who it will be. I also didn't include Hardy's salary dollars in this estimate.Hardy was traded for Gomez. Noted above.
- Obviously, the arb awards/agreements could be higher or lower than what I have, but I have a hard time justifying much higher. But I could see this going up to a total of about $79M.
- The only spots open on the roster are
32 bench positions. T hat is, if Gerut is going to play CF next season.
Hopefully Jason Kendall is shown the door. Otherwise, you're looking at increasing this payroll by probably around $3-$5M, depending on how idiotic The Mustache proves to be this off-season.Welcome, Triple G.
- I don't have Craig Counsell or Mike Cameron returning either, to round out the 3 open roster slots. I think Cameron will end up too expensive, and they'll choose to go with something internal or on the cheap in FA. Its possible Counsell comes back to fill a utility role again, but I'd assume The Mustache would show him his appreciation for this career season and throw another $1-$2M at him if he does.
- I don't have Mat Gamel on this 25 man roster. It appears the organization is going to do everything it can to make sure Casey McGehee starts at 3B every day. That leaves Gamel as an odd man out. Unfortunately if they do not find a different position for him to play, it looks like the club may need to find him a new team.
- So...with that all said and done, how much can the FO spend?