On this day in 1993, a couple of seemingly mundane events occurred:
- In the ninth inning of a 12-2 loss to the Angels, rookie reliever Graeme Lloyd made his third major league appearance, allowing two runs on four hits in his inning of work. The outing raised his ERA to 6.75, but he was about to start a streak where he allowed one run in 25.1 innings to drop it to 1.47 by June.
- Meanwhile, catcher Dave Nilsson got his first start of his second major league season, going 0-for-3 with a GIDP. He would go on to hit .257/.336/.375 in his first season as a major league regular.
By themselves neither of these outings would be all that important. By playing in the same game, though, Lloyd and Nilsson became the first all-Australian pitcher-catcher combination in major league history. (h/t B-Ref Bullpen)
Actually, Australian major leaguers aren't all that unusual for the Brewers. Of the 25 players from down under to appear in the major leagues, four spent time in a Brewer uniform:
With help from the B-Ref Play Index, happy birthday today to:
- 2010 Brewer Gregg Zaun, who turns 40.
- 1996-98 and 2001 Brewer Jesse Levis, who turns 43.
- 1987-89 Brewer Jay Aldrich, who turns 50.
- 1978 Brewer Mark Bomback, who turns 58.
- 1972-73 Brewer Joe Lahoud, who turns 64.