On this day in 1987 American League batters set a new record by combining for 28 home runs over seven games in one day. The Brewers and Blue Jays were big contributors to the carnage as Robin Yount, Cecil Cooper, Greg Brock, Fred McGriff and George Bell all went deep in Milwaukee's 11-5 win at County Stadium. Yount and Brock's homers came early in the game as the Brewers scored eight times in the first three innings. Cooper added a two run shot in the seventh.
Teddy Higuera was the winning pitcher in that game: He pitched seven innings, allowed four runs on nine hits and tied a career high with 13 strikeouts. That's tied for the third highest single-game total in franchise history:
|Teddy Higuera||3 times||13|
With help from the B-Ref Play Index, happy birthday today to:
- 2006-07 Brewer Chris Spurling, who turns 34.
- 2006 Brewer Corey Koskie, who turns 38.
- 1993 Brewer Kevin Reimer, who turns 47.
- 1970 Brewer Al Downing, who turns 70.
- Seattle Pilot Fred Talbot, who also turns 70.