Hi Everyone. It's that time of year again. Time for us all to get excited about the Draft (if the way the Brewers were playing right now isnt excitement enough). As most of you know, for the third straight year I will be the Scouting Director for the Milwaukee Brewers, in John Sickel's Community Mock Draft over at the SB Nation Minor League Ball site, held on Saturday June 4th at noon central.
As I have in the past, I will post a poll every day to select players for each team that picks until the Brewers two choices at #12 and #15, and then use the results as a basis for who I might pick in the Sickel's draft. I normailly will use the Baseball America Top 200 Draft Prospects as my basis for the poll choices, and since it just came out yesterday, and we dont have time to do one choice per day the way this will work is today the choice listed is the Pirates, but 2nd "winner" in the poll will be the choice for the Mariners who pick #2. And it will go on like this until the Brewer choices.
In a very close race, BCBers decided that the Brewers should take Vanderbilt right handed pitcher Sonny Gray. Gray is a bit undersized at 5'11", but he has a 90-95 mph fastball and a plus curve. He can throw a changeup so he should remain as a starter. At the very worst he is projected to be a closer. He has drawn comparisons to Roy Oswalt. It remains to be seen whether or not Gray will be available when the Brewers pick in the real draft next week, or if he will be available in the Mock Draft I will be participating in on Saturday at Sickel's Minor League Ball site.
Today we will attempt to predict who the Brewers second pick in the first round might be, after choosing Sonny Gray from Vanderbilt at pick 12. Based on who is at the top of the poll tomorrow moring, I will attempt to pick up Gray and whoever todays poll winner is, in tomorrows Mock Draft at the Sickel's site. I am personally not going to stray from my original thought of one bat one arm and one HS player and one college player. It would not be a horrible thing if the Brewers wound up taking Gray and a guy like Matt Barnes in the first round of this years draft. They would have two possible front of the rotation starters possibly mlb ready in 2 years.
- Pittsburgh Pirates, Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA
- Seattle Mariners, Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice
- Arizona Diamondbacks, Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso HS (OK)
- Baltimore Orioles, Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia
- Kansas City Royals, Bubba Starling, CF, Gardner-Edgerton HS (KS)
- Washington Nationals, Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA
- Arizona Diamondbacks, Francisco Lindor, SS, Montverde Academy (FL)
- Cleveland Indians, Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Texas
- Chicago Cubs, Josh Bell, RF, Dallas Baptist HS (TX)
- San Diego Padres, Archie Bradley, RHP, Broken Arrow HS (OK)
- Houston Astros, Taylor Guerrieri, RHP, Spring Valley HS, Columbia, SC
- Milwaukee Brewers, Sonny Gray, RHP, Vanderbilt
- New York Mets, Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech
- Florida Marlins, Javier Baez, SS, Arlington Country Day, Jacksonville, FL
- Milwaukee Brewers,