On this day in 1955, Robin Yount was born in Danville, Illinois. He was still only 17 when the Brewers selected him with the #3 overall pick in the 1973 draft, and by April of '74 he was in the big leagues for good.
Yount, as you likely know, would go on to the most historic career in Brewer franchise history. Here are some of his previous Today In Brewer History appearances:
- September 7, 1984: His last game at shortstop.
- May 16, 1988: His 945th career RBI, passing Cecil Cooper for the franchise lead.
- June 12, 1988: His cycle.
- July 2, 1989: His 2500th hit.
- July 25, 1999: His induction into the Hall of Fame.
Despite all of these accolades (including two MVP awards, 3000 hits and many more we haven't covered yet), Yount appeared in just three All Star games.
Yount turns 56 today. With help from the B-Ref Play Index, we'd also like to wish a happy birthday to: