It's possible the 2012 season could end tonight in Detroit.
I hope you're settling in to watch it, because it's possible tonight could be the last Major League Baseball game until 2013.
Game 4 of the World Series could be the decisive contest as Matt Cain (2.79 ERA, 3.40 FIP regular season, 3.52 ERA, 5.23 FIP postseason) and the Giants look to complete a sweep of Max Scherzer (3.74 ERA, 3.27 FIP regular season, 0.82 ERA, 0.64 FIP postseason) and the Tigers.
- The World Series hasn't ended in a sweep since 2007, when the Red Sox swept the Rockies. The last five World Series sweeps have all been won by AL teams. The last two NL teams to sweep a World Series were the 1976 and 1990 Reds.
- The Giants swept the 1954 World Series against the Indians.
- Pablo Sandoval has 23 postseason hits in 2012, and needs just two more to tie the single-season record David Freese tied last season.
- Sandoval has more hits in the 2012 postseason than any Brewer has in their playoff career. Ryan Braun, Paul Molitor and Robin Yount all have 22.
- If the Giants win tonight all eligible players will become free agents immediately following the game, and can officially sign with other teams on Saturday.
Tonight's game will be broadcast on Fox.