News and Notes:
- Brian Bixler has been optioned to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Sunday's starter Jordan Lyles has also been optioned to Oklahoma City to make room for infielder Marwin Gonzalez who is returning from the paternity list.
- Carlos Lee was not in Sunday's lineup but is expected to return this week. Lee suffered a sprained ankle in last Friday's win over the Reds.
- With the season Houston is expected to have their fans need something to look forward to.
- David Freese has gotten off to a great start to the year but the Cardinals Third Baseman isn't entirely happy with it.
- Allen Craig, who has yet to play at the big league level this season, could be activated as soon as Tuesday. Craig made his first start in his rehab at Triple-A Memphis on Sunday at First base for the Redbirds.
- The Cardinals, who are still waiting on Chris Carpenter, haven't reached out to free agent Roy Oswalt according to GM John Mozeliak.
- With Ryan Dempster set to return soon from the disabled list, the fate of Randy Wells remains up in the air. Wells hopes to stay on the big league roster, but his early performances haven't endeared him to doing so.
- A catcher controversy appears to be developing on the north side. Wellington Castillo was called up from Triple-A Iowa on Saturday after Steve Clevenger was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
- Edgar Gonzalez, an infielder at Triple-A Iowa, has been released by the club.
- Justin Wilson, Jose Diaz, and Doug Slaten combined to throw a no-hitter for Triple-A Indianapolis on Sunday afternoon against the Tampa Bay Rays affiliate, the Durham Bulls.
- In other minor league notes prospect Stetson Allie has been demoted from Class-A West Virginia to extended Spring Training. He will work on shoring up control issues that have been problematic throughout his pro career.
- Let the Erik Bedard trade speculation begin.
- Seriously, is there a more polarizing, debated, over-hyped; underperforming player in the division?
- The injured Miguel Cairo could return to action as early as Tuesday.
- Apparently it good to be bad.
- The Reds have signed Catcher Koyie Hill to a minor league deal.
The Brewers are in (presumably) sunny southern California to begin a series against the San Diego Padres tonight at 9:05 p.m. CDT. Randy Wolf (1-2) will start for the Crew. Twenty-two year old right hander Joe Wieland (0-3) will take the hill for the Friars, looking for his first MLB win.
The Astros welcome the Mets to Minute Maid Park to begin a three game series. Bud Norris (1-1) is scheduled to start for the Astros against knuckleballer R.A. Dickey (3-1). Game time in Houston is set for 7:05 p.m. CDT.
The Cardinals have an off day today before beginning a three game series against the Pirates in St. Louis tomorrow night.
The Cubs wrap up their series against the Phillies with a game in Philadelphia set for 6:05 p.m. CDT tonight. Chris Volstad (0-3) will take the mound still looking for his first win as a Cub. The Phils counter with Vance Worley (2-1).
The Reds have an off day today. They will begin a series against the Cubs with game one scheduled for tomorrow night.