News and Notes:
- The Astros have recalled Jordan Lyles from Triple-A Oklahoma City to make yesterday's start.
- To make room for Lyles on the roster reliever David Carpenter has been sent down.
- The Astros' offense has not launched the team to success. Their struggles have been well documented of late.
- With the Astros expected to be sellers, let the summer of speculation begin.
- Jon Jay's lingering shoulder injury has forced the outfielder to the 15-day disabled list.
- Shane Robinson has been recalled to take the space vacated by Jay.
- Lance Lynn is human after all, and not a robot programmed to win every time he takes the mound.
- The Cardinals have released left-handed reliever J.C. Romero.
- How will first year manager Mike Matheny respond to his first stint of adversity?
- Carlos Marmol, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Saturday, is at least 10 days away from returning.
- The Cubs have signed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor league deal.
- Interested in recent Cuban signee Gerardo Conception? Here's a scouting report on the left-hander.
- If only managing an MLB club was easy.
- Wrigley Field: It's a great atmosphere for the fans. Facilities for the players, however, leave much to be desired. Maybe the "curse" will go away with the stadium.
- MLB Trade Rumors looks at the upcoming contract issues for the Pirates.
- It's not as fun to talk about sputtering offense when you can't make puns (see Astros). Nonetheless, the Pirates have been looking to improve in that department all season long. (Your suggestions for clever pirate related weak offense puns are welcomed in the comments.)
- So, who is to blame for the offensive struggles?
- What an odd trio: Pedro Alvarez, Brad Eldred and Jose Bautista. What do these three players have in common?
- With the season he's having I'd think Homer Bailey would be more pleased with his recent outing.
- Offensive troubles are apparently the scourge of the division. The Reds haven't been able to escape the plague, except for Joey Votto.
- Will Scott Rolen's age and injury history, combined with the hot start for Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks, make Kevin Youkilis available for the Reds?
The Brewers move on from New York and head to Houston to begin another two game series. In tonight's game one, scheduled to get under way at 7:05 p.m. CDT, Randy Wolf (2-3) will make the Start for Milwaukee. The Astros will counter with Bud Norris (3-1).
The Cardinals begin a west coast road trip tonight in San Francisco. Jaime Garcia (2-2) will make the start for St. Louis. The Giants will send Madison Bumgarner (5-2) to the mound. Tonight's game at AT&T Park is scheduled to start at 9:15 p.m. CDT.
The Cubs welcome the Phillies to Chicago and begin a two game series at Wrigley Field tonight at 7:05 p.m. CDT. Matt Garza (2-1) is the scheduled starter for the Cubs. The Phillies will send Vance Worley (3-2) to the mound.
The Reds replace the Brewers in New York and begin a series against the Mets tonight at 6:10 p.m. CDT. Mike Leake (0-5) is still looking for win number one on the year. The Mets will counter with Johan Santana (1-2).