News and Notes:
- After making the start in the second game of yesterday's double-header, Jordan Lyles has been optioned by the Astros to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- The injury list may not be as long in Cincinnati as it is in Milwaukee but the Reds have had their fair share of misfortune on that front as well. Here are updates on relievers Bill Bray and Nick Massett, and third baseman Scott Rolen.
- Ryan Cook (Oakland A's reliever) and Aroldis Chapman have been nearly perfect in their relief roles this season. ESPN's SweetSpot blog has a look at their dominance and gives advice on how clubs can make the best use of their bullpen arms.
- In a pair of corresponding roster moves the Pittsburgh Pirates have recalled infielder Jordy Mercer and have sent Yamaico Navarro to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- In other Pirates moves, the club has placed reliever Juan Cruz on the restricted list and replaced him on the active roster with Doug Slaten.
- MLB Trade Rumors has notes on the Reds and Zack Greinke extension talks. They also have Cubs and Pirates notes on the upcoming draft.
- David Freese sat out yesterday's game, his second in a row, still ailing from a sore wrist.
- Cubs catcher Steve Clevenger is back from the disabled list and ready to resume his role behind the plate for the north siders. Blake Lalli was sent to Triple-A Iowa to make room on the roster for Clevenger.
- Roy Oswalt will not be joining the Cardinals after all.
- The Cubs may be in rebuilding mode, but club president Theo Epstein is open to keeping free agent to be Ryan Dempster around and not trading the right hander this summer. Dempster, 35, is in the middle of his ninth season in Chicago.
|Away||Home||Time (CDT)||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Brewers||Dodgers||9:10||Yovani Gallardo (3-4)||Clayton Kershaw (4-2)|
|Astros||Rockies||7:40||Lucas Harrell (4-3)||Christian Friedrich (2-1)|
|Cardinals||Braves||6:10||Kyle Lohse (5-1)||Tim Hudson (3-2)|
|Padres||Cubs||1:20||Brandon Bass (2-5)||Ryan Dempster (0-3)|
|Reds||Pirates||6:05||Johnny Cueto (5-2)||A.J. Burnett (3-2)|