News and Notes:
- Jordan Schafer, welcome to the Astros' record book.
- Right-handed pitching prospect Jarred Cosart has been promoted to Triple-A Oklahoma City. Cossart will slot into the starting rotation, filling the spot of the player promoted to the big league roster to take the spot of the injured Kyle Weiland.
- Attitude matters.
- Lance Berkman's strained left calf is still not 100 percent and will keep the injured First baseman out of action through the weekend. Matt Carpenter and the recently returned Allen Craig will continue to fill in for the injured Berkman.
- He's still in the news even when he's not closing.
- Following the departure of Marlon Byrd the Cubs have had a string of players man the position.
- New Cub Chris Volstad hasn't gotten off the best of starts with his new club.
- The illness affecting Matt Garza, which has already pushed back his scheduled start once, is still lingering. Travis Wood will start in Garza's place on Sunday in the series finale against the Dodgers in what will be his Cubs debut.
- Weren't people calling for his head earlier this season? How the times have changed.
- Joel Hanrahan has trade value for the Bucs. Prepares yourself for the rumors and speculation. He's not the only Pirate with value according to Ken Rosenthal.
- As if they don't have enough outfielders already. Add one more to the mix for the Reds.
- The curse of batting leadoff for the Reds? Okay, maybe not, but the spot has been troublesome for the team of late. Sometime in the not too distant future speedy Shortstop Billy Hamilton will likely fill that role.
The Brewers and Giants will wrap up their series in San Francisco today with a game featuring a strong pitching match up. Shaun Marcum (1-1) will start for the Crew and Matt Cain (1-2) will start for the Giants. Game time is set for 3:05 p.m. CDT.
The Cubs and Dodgers will play the rubber game of their three game series today at 1:20 p.m. CDT. Travis Wood (0-0) will make his Cubs debut. He will be opposed by Aaron Harang (1-2) who will look to even his record for the Dodgers.