News and Notes:
- The Astros have called up Aneury Rodriguez to the big league club. Rodriguez will pitch in place of the injured Kyle Weiland. Weiland is hopeful about returning later this season.
- In other injury related news reliever Rhiner Cruz began a rehab assignment Saturday night at Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Allen Craig has gotten off to a great belated start to the season since his return from the disabled list causing manager Mike Matheny to retool the Cardinal line up.
- The Cubs have designated infielder Blake DeWitt for assignment.
- Sunday was a busy day as the Cubs made several minor league roster moves.
- Now they know what it's like to be on the receiving end. Just three days after striking our 17 Cardinal batters the Pirates had the trick turned on them in Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Reds.
- The still ill Andrew McCutchen will have time to rest before the Pirates begin their next series Tuesday against the Washington Nationals.
- Pirates' prospect Starling Marte, playing at Triple-A Indianapolis, was forced to leave Sunday's game early after being hit by a pitch on the right hand. The extent of the injury isn't yet known.
- In other minor league news the Class High-A Bradenton Marauders defeated the Tampa Yankees 7-6 in an 18 inning marathon. Top prospect Gerrit Cole started for Bradenton.
- Miguel Cairo, currently rehabbing with the Low-A Dayton Dragons, is questionable for the upcoming series against the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Mat Latos pitched much better than he felt on Sunday in the series finale against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- The Reds order is in slight disarray, ironically in large part due to the clean up spot in the line up.
After returning home from their West Coast trip the Brewers welcome the Reds to Miller Park. Game one of the series is scheduled for tonight at 7:10 p.m. CDT. Yovani Gallardo (1-3) will start for the Crew against Bronson Arroyo (1-1) who will start for the Reds.
The Astros and Marlins will begin their series in Houston with tonight's 7:05 p.m. CDT game. Wandy Rodriguez (3-2) will make the start for the Astros. Familiar foe, Carlos Zambrano (0-2) will start for the Marlins, still looking for his first win for his new team.
The Cubs continue their home stand against the Atlanta Braves. Jeff Samardzija (3-1) will start for the Cubs and Tommy Hanson (3-2) will take the hill for the Braves. Game time in Wrigley Field is set for 7:05 p.m. CDT.
The Cardinals travel to Arizona to take on the Diamondbacks. Game one tonight in Phoenix is set to get under way at 8:40 p.m. CDT. Lance Lynn (5-0) will start for the Cards and looks to remain unbeaten on the year. Joe Saunders (2-1) will start for the D'backs.
The Pirates have an off day before welcoming the Washington Nationals to Pittsburgh for a series that is scheduled to begin tomorrow night.