News and Notes:
- The Pirates will apparently be buyers this summer. Corner infielders are reportedly on the top of their shopping list.
- The negotiations continue. Pittsburgh is reportedly willing to break slot to sign first round pick Mark Appel. That, and other draft related news, available here.
- Injured reliever Chris Leroux is nearing a return to action from the 60-day disabled list. the Pirates' right-hander will continue his rehab at Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Joe Kelly made his MLB debut on Sunday after being called up from Triple-A. Kelly got a no decision in the Cardinals 4-1 loss to the Cleveland Indians.
- The winning team in the Jorge Soler sweepstakes will be announced soon, perhaps as early as today. The Cubs are said to be one of the teams most interested in signing the 20-year old Cuban outfielder.
- The Astros have completed their March 20th trade with the Kansas City Royals. Houston sent outfielder Jason Bourgeois and catcher Humberto Quintero to Kansas City in exchange for minor league pitcher Brian Chapman and a player to be named later. That player has now been named and is outfielder D'Andre Toney.
If you have plans to watch NL Central baseball today you're out of luck, unless you care to watch a replay of an earlier game, as there are no games involving division teams today.