News and Notes:
- The Pirates have announced the signing of a trio of picks from this month's draft.
- The mystery continues concerning the injured left wrist of Cubs third baseman Ian Stewart.
- I'd feel sorry for the beleaguered Alfonso Soriano if he wasn't making a boatload of money. That, and he seemingly has the backing of his teammates.
- The battle for Ohio certainly has been entertaining this year. First Dusty Baker and Derek Lowe had their spat. Now accusations of sign stealing are in the spotlight increasing the tension between the Indians and Reds.
- Injured right-hander Bud Norris, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list, is scheduled to make a rehab start on Saturday for Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Super-agent Scott Boras is on friendly terms with Astro's GM Jeff Luhnow. This relationship apparently helped in the signing of right-hander Lance McCullers.
- Interleague play has helped the Cardinals keep Matt Holliday's bat in the starting lineup. After leaving Sunday's extra inning game early Holliday was slotted in as the designated hitter for the series opener in Detroit.
- Skip Schumaker has rejoined the active roster for the Cardinals after returning from the disabled list. To make room reliever Maikel Cleto was optioned to Triple-A Memphis.
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Blue Jays||Brewers||1:10||TBD||Yovanni Gallardo (5-5)|
|Royals||Astros||1:05||Bruce Chen (5-6)||Jordan Lyles (1-3)|
|Cardinals||Tigers||6:05||Jake Westbrook (5-6)||Rick Porcello (4-4)|
|Cubs||White Sox||7:10||Randy Wells (1-1)||Gavin Floyd (4-7)|
|Twins||Pirates||6:05||Francisco Liriano (1-7)||Erik Bedard (4-7)|
|Reds||Indians||6:05||Bronson Arroyo (3-4)||Justin Masterson (3-6)|