News and Notes:
- Seventeen year old Shortstop Carlos Correa was taken No. 1 overall by the Houston Astros in yesterday night's first year player draft.
- With the No. 6 pick in last night's draft the Cubs took prep outfielder Albert Almora.
- The Pirates took Stanford left-hander Mark Appel with the No. 8 pick.
- Nick Travieso, a right-handed high school pitcher from Florida, was taken by the Reds with the 14th pick in last night's draft.
- The Cardinals held two first round picks in last night's draft. With the 19th pick in last night's draft, a pick as a result of Albert Pujols signing with the Angels, the Cardinals selected right-hander Michael Wacha from Texas A&M. The Cardinals made collegiate outfielder James Ramsey from Florida State their latest addition by selecting him with the 23rd pick.
- The Brewers also held two first round picks, back-to-back at Nos. 27 and 28. Clint Coulter, high school catcher from Washington, was taken with the 27th pick, a pick that was the result of the Tigers' signing of Prince Fielder. With pick 28 the Crew selected outfielder Victor Roache from Georgia Southern.
- The Cubs have signed Hong-Chi Kuo to a minor league contract.
- Alfonso Soriano may be open to trade possibilities but it takes two to tango.
- Don't expect to see prospect Anthony Rizzo as the designated hitter in interleague play. Instead it will be Alfonso Soriano who will take over that duty.
- The next lapse in concentration by Starlin Castro will mean time on the bench for the young Cubs shortstop. His latest folly occurred in the fifth inning of yesterday's game and allowed the tying run to score in a game the Cubs would eventually lose to complete the sweep in San Francisco.
- Former Reds reliever, and all-time appearance leader, Pedro Borbon has passed away from complications of cancer.
- Left-hander Jeff Francis has opted out of his contract with Cincinnati and is now a free agent.
- Recent convert from pitcher to position player, Stetson Allie, will try his hand at third base.
- Seriously? What did you expect?
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Cubs||Brewers||7:10||Ryan Dempster (0-3)||Yovani Gallardo (4-4)|
|Cardinals||Astros||7:05||Jaime Garcia (3-3)||Lucas Harrell (4-4)|
|Pirates||Reds||6:10||A.J. Burnett (4-2)||Homer Bailey (4-3)|