News and Notes:
- The news on the injury front concerning Cardinals' left-hander Jaime Garcia continues to worsen. Garcia will seek multiple opinions before making a decision about how to proceed with treating his injured shoulder.
- In the wake of this news the Cardinals are being forced to reassess their starting rotation. One option the team is considering for Saturday's start is right-hander Joe Kelly. One option apparently not being considered is top prospect Shelby Miller.
- Chris Carpenter is close to resuming throwing activities but still remains at least a month away from being major league ready.
- The Reds have made a trio of draft signings, including their first supplemental round pick, Jesse Winker.
- The $10 million vesting option of Brett Meyers contract for 2013 isn't likely to scare teams off from acquiring the Astros closer.
- Even with starter Ian Stewart dealing with a sore wrist, the Cubs do not have any plans to make a move and bring up prospect Josh Vitters.
- Is the large number of day games a part of the reason for the Cubs' struggles?
- In his first post-draft start, Mark Appel, chosen by the Pirates with the No. 8 pick, was hit hard, early, and often.
- The Pirates are only 2.0 games behind the division leading Reds. Can they keep it up. Their fans certainly hope so. Hopefully, for their sake, this season ends on a more favorable note than last season did after a similar good start.
- Jeff Karstens has been listed as day to day following the results of an MRI taken Friday. The cause of the right-hander's groin discomfort has been labeled as a hip flexor.
- Reds third baseman Todd Fraizer was a late scratch from Friday's game due to back spasms. That, and other Reds injury updates, can be found here.
- The Astros have called up utility man Brian Bixler from Triple-A Oklahoma City to take the place of the injured Marwin Gonzalez who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right heel bruise.
- The Astros have signed another eight draft picks, including their fifth round pick, outfielder Andrew Aplin. Lance Roenicke, son of Brewers manager Ron and taken by the Crew in the 25th round, has also signed.
- With Carlos Lee on the disabled list the Astros are forced to look at other options to fill the DH role for interleague play.
- Changes may be on the way for the Astros, in the uniform department, the dugout and even to the field itself.
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Padres||Brewers||3:10||Andrew Cashner (3-3)||Michael Fiers (1-1)|
|Astros||White Sox||3:10||Jordan Lyles (1-1)||Chris Sale (7-2)|
|Indians||Cardinals||6:15||Justin Masterson (2-5)||Kyle Lohse (5-1)|
|Cubs||Twins||1:10||Jeff Samardzija (5-3)||Scott Diamond (4-1)|
|Royals||Pirates||6:15||Vin Mazzaro (2-0)||James McDonald (5-2)|
|Tigers||Reds||3:10||Justin Verlander (5-4)||Bronson Arroyo (2-4)|