On this day one year ago the Brewers beat the Dodgers 3-0 at Miller Park to improve to 71-51 on the season. Randy Wolf pitched eight shutout innings in the game but alllowed eleven baserunners and got some major help from his defense.
The Dodgers had two on with none out in the top of the second when James Loney came to the plate and hit the ground ball that started this play:
The triple play was just the sixth in franchise history.
With help from the B-Ref Play Index, happy birthday today to:
- 2007 Brewer Mel Stocker, who turns 31.
- 2000-01 Brewer Allen Levrault, who turns 35.
- 2004 Brewer Ben Ford, who turns 37.
- 1997 Brewer Jeff Huson, who turns 48.
- 1972 Brewer Billy Conigliaro, who turns 65.
- 1972 Brewer Tommie Reynolds, who turns 71.
- 1953-60 Milwaukee Brave Joey Jay, who turns 77.
Today is also the 43rd anniversary of outfielder Billy Williams' debut with the Seattle Pilots. Williams was 36 years and 63 days old and was the oldest player to make his major league debut in franchise history. We covered that event in this space last year.