On this day in 1997 the Brewers had one of the worst innings in franchise history. They already trailed the Tigers heading into the seventh when Bobby Higginson singled to lead off the inning, the first of eleven Detroit hits in the inning. By the time the dust had cleared eleven Tigers had scored and they now led 16-1.
This game was only the 14th time in franchise history the Brewers had allowed 16 runs in a game. They've done it ten more times since.
With help from the B-Ref Play Index, happy birthday to:
- Randy Wolf, who turns 36.
- 1997-98 Brewer Darrin Jackson, who turns 49.
- Hall of Famer and 1978-92 Brewer Paul Molitor, who turns 56. We covered his birthday in this space last year.
- 1976-77 Brewer Gary Beare, who turns 60.
- 1985 and 1987 Brewer Ray Burris, who turns 62.
- Baseball Hall of Famer and 2002 inductee into the Appleton Baseball Hall of Fame Pat Gillick, who turns 75.
- Milwaukee native Happy Felsch, who would have turned 121. Felsch played six major league seasons between 1915-1920 as a member of the White Sox.