Full provisional WBC rosters were announced today, and it looks like Brewer camp will be pretty empty for a few days in March.
The B in WBC doesn't stand for "Brewers," but perhaps it should.
The full rosters for the World Baseball Classic were announced this afternoon and the Brewers have several more players from the organzation taking part:
- Marco Estrada will join Yovani Gallardo on Mexico.
- Carlos Gomez will patrol center field for the Dominican Republic.
- Hiram Burgos will pitch to teammate Martin Maldonado for Puerto Rico.
- Jeff Bianchi will play for Italy.
- Recent minor league free agent signee Rene Tosoni will be in the outfield for Canada.
- 2012 Brevard County Manatee Mike Walker will play for Australia.
Adam McCalvy was the first to notice these changes.
Those six join Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy (United States), John Axford, Jim Henderson and Taylor Green (Canada), Gallardo (Mexico), Maldonado (Puerto Rico) and Hainley Statia (Netherlands) in the classic, giving the Brewers 14 players participating. 2012 Brewer and current free agent Francisco Rodriguez will also pitch in the Classic for Venezuela.
With these additions the Brewers are now represented on all four of the teams that will open pool play in Arizona (US, Canada, Mexico and Italy), two of the teams that will play in Puerto Rico (Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico) and two of the teams playing in Taiwan (Netherlands and Australia). The Taiwan pool will play their games from March 2-5, while Arizona and Puerto Rican pools play from March 7-10.