Some things to read while trading up.
We are 18 days away from pitchers and catchers reporting to Maryvale and we can now confirm that Shaun Marcum won't be there. Marcum reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Mets yesterday, although financial terms aren't yet available (FanShot).
Marcum's departure represents the latest in a line of moments this winter where the Brewers have passed on an opportunity to add some depth to a thin and inexperienced 2013 starting rotation. Colin Bennett of Reviewing the Brew wonders if the Brewers are being "penny wise and dollar foolish" in their efforts to slash payroll this winter.
The Brewers may not be spending cash this winter, but they certainly are grabbing it. Yesterday they unveiled a new gold alternate jersey, the sixth jersey that will be a part of their regular rotation in 2013. Matt Snyder of CBS Sports has an artist rendering of the new look. (h/t Joe Block)
The full 2013 MLB schedule with game times was also released yesterday. @Mass_Haas notes that the Brewers will play four getaway-day night games (including two in Pittsburgh) and a July 4 game in Washington that will start at 10:05 am Central time.
Elsewhere in schedules, John Steinmiller has the full schedule for Sunday's "Brewers On Deck" event.
In the minors:
- As of this writing Scooter Gennett holds a three vote lead in the race for the #8 spot in our Community Prospect Rankings. Go vote before 1 today if you haven't yet, then check back after 2 to vote for #9.
- The Brewer Nation has a profile of reliever Santo Manzanillo as the latest installment in their "Brewers By the (Jersey) Numbers" series.
Chris Mehring of Rattler Radio has the latest update from the renovation project at Time Warner Cable Field.
If you'd like more Brewer coverage this morning but you're sick of reading, Brewerfan.net has done a great job collecting all of the Brewers' local radio appearances over the last few days to build up to this weekend's On Deck event. Follow that link for spots with Ryan Braun, Jonathan Lucroy, Rickie Weeks, Marco Estrada, Chris Narveson and much more.
Also, this week's View From Bernie's Chalet podcast is up and featured topics include Corey Hart, Mat Gamel, the WBC and more.
Braves: Acquired outfielder Justin Upton and third baseman Chris Johnson from the Diamondbacks for utilityman Martin Prado, pitcher Randall Delgado and three minor leaguers.
Diamondbacks: Designated first baseman Lars Anderson for assignment.
Orioles: Signed pitcher Jair Jurrjens to a one-year, $1.5 million deal.
Rays: Re-signed reliever Kyle Farnsworth to a one-year deal.
Rockies: Signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal.
White Sox: Claimed pitcher Zach Stewart off waivers from the Pirates.
Yankees: Signed 1B/DH Dan Johnson to a minor league deal.
- Amazin' Avenue has a great Sporcle quiz asking you to name the pitchers who threw softer than Shaun Marcum in 2012.
- Dan Plesac unearthed a copy of the 1989 Brewers' official program with him on the cover.
- Tim Unroe and (of course) Bob Uecker are profiled in Value Over Replacement Grit's look at the 53 current and former major leaguers whose last name starts with U.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back in line.