Some things to read while using your full name.
The latest Brewer transaction involves a familiar face, as the Brewers re-signed infielder Taylor Green to a minor league deal yesterday. Adam McCalvy has the contract details, including an opt-out clause on June 15 and an agreement that allows him to leave the team this winter if he gets a better offer to play in Asia.
Meanwhile, yesterday we wrapped up the top ten on our list of 2013's most valuable Brewers of 2013 with JP's profile of Scooter Gennett, which you can see here. The series continues today with our first honorable mention.
Marco Estrada fell one vote shy of the #10 spot in our reader voting. Benjamin Orr of Reviewing the Brew gave him a B- grade for his partial season with the Brewers.
Today's free agent notes are all about a certain former Cy Young Award winner:
- Twins Daily profiled Tim Lincecum as a potential target for the Twins, and projected he'll get four years and $64 million this winter. That seems really high to me.
- SoDo Mojo suggested the Mariners could also be interested in Lincecum, a Washington native.
In the minors:
- In addition to Green, the Brewers are also expected to re-sign pitcher Zack Kroenke to a minor league deal on Tuesday. He appeared in 32 games (19 starts) for Nashville a year ago and had a 4.51 ERA over 129.2 innings.
- Baseball America released their 2013 MLB Draft Report Card for the Brewers on Monday, and Alec has a roundup of what you might have missed.
- Mitch Haniger was the only Brewer in action in the Arizona Fall League on Monday, and he went 1-for-4 with a walk in Surprise's 9-6 loss to Mesa. Here's the box score.
- Brewers Farm Report has a story about Haniger, who projects to be a member of the Huntsville Stars in 2014 but could improve his stock by continuing to swing a hot bat in the AFL.
- Mass Haas of Brewerfan.net wonders if veteran journeyman Eugenio Velez's season-ending hot streak and early work in winter ball may prompt the Brewers to add him to the 40-man roster.
Diamondbacks: Elected not to exercise manager Kirk Gibson's contract options for 2015 and 2016.
Dodgers: Signed Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero to a four year, $28 million contract. Also, manager Don Mattingly's contract contained a vesting option for 2014.
Rangers: Hired former Red Sox coach Tim Bogar as their new bench coach.
Reds: Are expected to hire pitching coach Bryan Price as their new manager.
Today in former Brewers:
- Adam McCalvy has a story on John Axford's unlikely transition from Brewers closer to pitching in the World Series for the Cardinals.
- Despite some fans' disappointment with his recent performance, Patrick O'Kennedy of Bless You Boys says Prince Fielder will not be traded. He's still owed $24 million per season over the next seven years.
- The Mets are unlikely to reach a deal with LaTroy Hawkins before he becomes a free agent following the World Series.
- Baseball Card Vandals defaced a Ted Simmons card.
If you've finished today's Mug and you're looking for something else to do, Gaslamp Ball has Sporcle quizzes asking you to name all 25 members of the World Series rosters for the Cardinals and Red Sox. I was able to name 16 Cardinals off the top of my head at 11 pm last night, but only ten Red Sox.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find someone else to talk to.