Brewers, Aaron, Hanel earn high grades for charity work

USA TODAY Sports

Their organizations reported spending over 95% of revenue for charitable purpose.

We hear a lot about player and team charities over the course of an MLB season, but we don't always hear a lot about where the donated money ends up. On Sunday the Appleton Post Crescent ran an extended look at athletes and their charities, headlined by some questions about the activities of longtime Packers safety Leroy Butler.

Today the Post Crescent has a database of Wisconsin athletes' charities, and for the Brewers the news is very good: Three foundations with ties to the team all reported spending more than 95% of their revenues on charitable purposes in either 2011 or 2012.

The Brewers Community Foundation is the big story here. They reported raising a combined $4.57 million between 2011 and 2012 and spending $4.29 million, with 96.7% of their 2011 expenditures and 97.8% of 2012's going to charitable purposes.

Brewers bullpen catcher Marcus Hanel's "Koos for Kids" charity raised much less money at $48,320 in 2011, but also reported 96.2% of its spending went towards the organization's stated goal. Hank Aaron's Chasing the Dream Foundation also reported spending $814,493 in 2011, with 95.6% applied to charitable purposes.

The only bad news for a former Brewer on this list belongs to CC Sabathia. His "PitCCh in Foundation" reported taking in $754,301 in 2011 and spending $783,818, but just 68.2% of their spending went for charitable purposes, with the remaining 31.8% being used for management expenses.

You can search the Post Crescent database for yourself to find out more about charities with Wisconsin ties, but here's a quick table on the Brewers-related findings:

Player/Org Charity Year Revenue Expenses Charitable Purpose %
Brewers Brewers Community Foundation 2012 $2,359,913 $2,023,455 97.8%
Brewers Brewers Community Foundation 2011 $2,215,613 $2,274,775 96.7%
CC Sabathia PitCCh in Foundation 2011 $754,301 $783,818 68.2%
Hank Aaron Hank Aaron Chasing the Dream Foundation 2011 $119,566 $814,493 95.6%
Marcus Hanel Koos for Kids 2011 $48,320 $42,782 96.2%
X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Brew Crew Ball

You must be a member of Brew Crew Ball to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Brew Crew Ball. You should read them.

Join Brew Crew Ball

You must be a member of Brew Crew Ball to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Brew Crew Ball. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9351_tracker