I know the 45 other people that are in the BCB Fantasy Baseball leagues received their joining emails yesterday from Noah. And now it's time for our yearly tradition of naming your fantasy team! I've been the official arbiter of fantasy team names since it's inception, so you have a pretty good idea of what's good and what isn't at this point. But here are some guidelines:
- Gross is good, subtle is better.
- It must fit! Espn gives you 2 blocks of 15 characters. Use them wisely.
- 80's and now early 90's music references are phenomenal, recent music is also acceptable.
- If you are going to use a pop culture reference, make sure it's recent.
- Be original if possible. We've had years to use Doug Fister's and Albert Pujols' names for our teams. It's time to move on.
- Referneces from Futurama, the Simpsons, Archer, Parks and Rec, It's Always Sunny, and any other funny show (NOTE: I said funny, so that eliminates the entire CBS lineup) are acceptable.
- You don't have to be in the BCB fantasy leagues to participate, and every year I look forward to the selections that MolitorFan and Ted Simmons Speed Camp submit. Any name submitted that does not belong to a person in a BCB fantasy league is fair game.
As you know in the arbitration process, my wife is the final arbiter on the names. If I'm on the fence and she approves, it's in.
So to kick it off, I'm being lazier than usual this year (3 kids under 3 will do that), so I went with a play off the first line of the Harlem Shake: Melancon Los Terroristas. It's relevant, it's got instant recognition, and it made me smile.