Some things to read while getting amped.
Day 25 of spring training 2013 is upon us, but it's Day One in minor league camp for several Brewer pitchers. Jed Bradley, Taylor Jungmann, Darren Byrd, Arcenio Leon and Jairo Asencio were returned to minor league camp yesterday, and Ariel Pena, Santo Manzanillo and Miguel De Los Santos were optioned to AA.
@Mass_Haas has a look at the roster implications of these decisions, noting that Pena and Manzanillo will each have an option remaining in 2014 and Miguel De Los Santos, who has an arm injury, now cannot go on the 60-day DL.
Yesterday's moves continue the trend of 2011 first round picks Taylor Jungmann and Jed Bradley doing everything together. Adam McCalvy talked to the pair of pitching prospects about their parallel journeys through the organization.
Khris Davis is still in big league camp, meanwhile, and likely will be for a while yet: His third home run in as many days powered the Brewers to a 4-3 win over the Diamondbacks yesterday and got them back to .500 in Cactus League play. We've got the recap, if you missed it. Tom Haudricourt has a look at the difficult challenge the Brewers would face in trying to find Davis a spot on the roster.
Alfredo Figaro survived the first wave of cuts and pitched three scoreless innings yesterday to continue his near-perfect spring. Tom Haudricourt talked to Figaro about his offseason return from Japan and his hopes to make the Opening Day roster.
Other notes from camp:
- Doug Melvin was back in camp Thursday after spending several hours Wednesday night in the ER following a scorpion sting. Jaymes Langrehr and @BrewCrewJess are already considering the aftermath.
- Today is a big day for Corey Hart, who will have another MRI to check the progress of his surgically repaired knee. It's possible he could be cleared to accelerate his rehab if it goes well.
- ASU student Alexia Porto of the JS has photos of Alex Gonzalez's day at first base.
- Craig Calcaterra of Hardball Talk was in Maryvale yesterday and talked to Corey Hart about Batman, took a picture of a fan's Lucroy shirt and documented the winner of the sausage race (Italian).
- Speaking of the Sausage Race, ASU student Jason Galvin of the JS talked to Mike Fiers, Scooter Gennett and Corey Hart about their favorite racing meats.
- Todd Rosiak talked to Mark Rogers about his effort to get back on track this spring.
- Dave Radcliffe of Yahoo listed Rogers among his top three spring training disappointments to this point.
- ASU student Carrie Adams of the JS talked to Corey Hart, Wily Peralta, Mike Fiers and Logan Schafer about what they'd be doing if they weren't playing baseball.
Cactus League play continues in Maryvale today when the Brewers host the Rangers at 2. Tyler Thornburg will take on Jeff Beliveau. We talked to Adam Morris of Lone Star Ball as part of our Better Know A Cactus League Opponent series.
After today's game all attention will shift to Chase Field in Phoenix, where Yovani Gallardo will be on the mound when Mexico takes on Team USA in the World Baseball Classic tonight. Mexico needs a win to carry much hope of advancing after getting upset by Italy last night. Gwen Knapp of Sports On Earth has a story on Fernando Valenzuela serving as Mexico's pitching coach, while Mike Oz of Big League Stew has a full recap of yesterday's action.
In the minors: Chris Mehring of Rattler Radio has the latest update from the renovation project at Fox Cities Stadium. The team is holding a Media Open House on Tuesday and I'm hoping to attend.
If you'd like more Brewer coverage today but you're sick of reading, Thursday's edition of the Home Stretch Hangout has been archived and features Charlie Wilmoth of Bucs Dugout and I talking about the 2013 Pirates.
Cardinals: Shortstop Rafael Furcal needs Tommy John surgery and is out for the 2013 season.
Marlins: Released pitcher Michael Wuertz.
White Sox: Signed pitcher Chris Sale to a five-year, $32.5 million contract extension with club options for 2018 and 2019.
Yankees: Reliever Mariano Rivera is expected to retire following the season.
Today in former Brewers:
- The Dodgers have announced that Zack Greinke will start when they face the Brewers in Maryvale on Monday.
- Adam McCalvy spotted a Bobby Hughes jersey in the crowd at Maryvale.
Today's statistical note comes from David Schoenfield of ESPN and probably won't surprise anyone who's watched Ron Roenicke's Milwaukee Brewers: The sacrifice bunt is still alive and well.
Meanwhile, Tim Muma of Brewers Mix has a reminder of all the reasons not to take spring training stats seriously.
Today in baseball economics: Players who will open the season on the DL with the Yankees have a higher combined 2013 salary than the entire Rays roster.
Now, if you'll excuse me, my trash can is full.