On this day in 1998 the Brewers got shut out by the Phillies 2-0 in front of over 55,000 fans at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. Curt Schilling pitched seven innings for the win in the first-ever meeting between these teams.
The Brewers did manage to score some runs in the other two games of the series, but the Phillies still completed the sweep. All told these two teams have met 111 times, with the Phillies leading the all-time series 64-47. Those are only regular season meetings, so that figure doesn't include Philadelphia's win in the 2008 NLDS.
Here are some fun facts about this rivalry:
- Ryan Braun has 66 career hits and 14 RBI against the Phillies to lead all Brewers in both categories. Prince Fielder edged him out with 35 RBI, though.
- Jimmy Rollins leads all Phillies with 72 hits against the Brewers, while Pat Burrell has 12 home runs.
- Dave Bush's win in Game 3 of the 2008 NLDS was the Brewers' first postseason win since 1982.
- Cole Hamels leads all Phillies with six career wins against the Brewers and 67 strikeouts.
The Brewers have already wrapped up their 2013 season series with Philadelphia, taking five of seven games.
With help from the B-Ref Play Index, happy birthday today to:
- 1989-96 Brewer Greg Vaughn, who turns 48. We covered his birthday in this space last year.
- 1988-91 Brewer Don August, who turns 50.
- 1971 and 1974-75 Brewer Rob Ellis, who turns 63.