It's a tradition around BCB, and now it's time to bring it back again. The concept is simple: Post your team idea names here. We are looking for creativity, but beyond that it is all up to you. When it comes to naming a team, I'm not creative. The good news is that you don't need a creative team name to sign up. However, it does help make things more interesting when you have one.
Since I'm not good at this, I went back and looked at guidelines posted by our fantasy team name expert (Hyatt) to get some ideas. Here are the general requirements summarized for coming up with a team name:
1. Easily understood - When someone looks at your team name, they should get the point of it quickly. If you put a reference in your team name, make sure it's something that people actually know about. General ideas include popular TV shows, classic or current music, popular movies, recent MLB news, etc. There's plenty of sources to pull from out there, so just look and find something you like.
2. Baseball related - It's a fantasy baseball league, so the names should be about baseball. Leave the football references (or basketball, hockey, soccer, NASCAR, Olympics, etc.) in storage for now.
3. Funny/Clever/Dirty - It's just about making someone laugh.
4. Original - The list of team names that has been used over and over grows longer by the day. Try to come up with something different to use. Here's a good way to see how original you are: Do a Google search on your ideal name (making sure to put it in quotes). If you get too many hits, go back to the drawing board.
5. Formatted correctly - Remember that ESPN has a 30 character limit to team names (two 15-character fields). If you can't fit it into that, you can't use it.
That's it. Follow those guidelines and start brainstorming. You'll find plenty of critics around here to judge your ideas, and maybe even Hyatt will pop in to give you his thoughts.
Finally, a quick fantasy sign-up update. We currently have 25 people signed up (plus 3 commissioners), so we will definitely have three leagues running at least. A fourth is still possible, but we would need more people to do that. You still have two weeks to sign up to play in one of the BCB leagues, and if you haven't done so already, you can sign up here.
For now, put your team name ideas in the comments. Let's see how creative we can get.