Wily Peralta was excellent again. He held the Pirates to 5 H, 1 BB, and 1 R, with 4 K in 7 innings. He had a 52.4 GB%. Unfortunately for him, the Brewers only scored 1 run off Francisco Liriano and nothing else. Francisco Rodriguez came into a tied game in the top of the 9th and gave up 3 runs to get the loss.
This probably shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone that was aware of his back stiffness/spasms. It's likely for the best that he served the suspension now even if MLB was going to drop it down to 2 games. He was going to miss a game or two because of his back. Now the Brewers don't have to worry about the suspension coming in another day or two thereby extending the amount of games he would miss. Hopefully he'll be ready to play Saturday when his suspension is over.
- Ryan Topp over at Disciples of Uecker took a look at Weeks' production this year and comes to the conclusion that it is likely unsustainable.
- I asked all of you if you'd keep Weeks or trade him. The majority said they would trade him.
- The Marlins signed former Brewer Randy Wolf.
- Paul Noonan took a look at Mark Reynolds and Regression over at RRSMB.
- David Schoenfield of ESPN asks the question: Do surprise teams have great bullpens?He uses the Brewers pen in 2011 and this year as examples of teams that did/do.
- Jeff Passan tweets that former Brewer Todd Coffey had a successful showcase yesterday and could be signed by the weekend.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||21-18||Off||Oklahoma City @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||26-14||Chattanooga 17- Huntsville 6||Birmingham @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||20-18||Fort Myers 4- Brevard County 3||Fort Myers @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||18-20||Quad Cities 1, Wisconsin 5||Wisconsin @ Peoria|
News & Notes
- Minor League Baseball takes a look at how Clint Coulter's stock is rising noting he's healthy and hitting this year.
- Michael Reed makes Carson Cistulli's Fringe Five this time around.
- Tom Gorzelanny pitched two scoreless innings for the Manatees in rehab. He allowed 1 hit, 1 walk, and got 1 strikeout.
- Wei-Chung Wang passed the rookie status cutoff (in this case 45 days on an active MLB roster) and as a result has graduated from MLB Pipeline's top 20 prospects list for the Brewers. Yadiel Rivera now claims the 20th spot.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
- Yesterday's Cubs at Cardinals game was postponed due to rain. They'll make the game up in a split double header on August 30th at Busch Stadium. This is unfortunate for the Brewers as it pushes Jeff Samardzija's start to the Friday home opener versus the Crew.
- Yesterday's Reds vs Padres game was also postponed. They'll play a double header today.
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jason Hammel) @ Cardinals (Michael Wacha) - 12:45 pm
- Padres (Ian Kennedy) @ Reds (Johnny Cueto) - 12:35 pm
- Padres (Tyson Ross) @Reds(TBD) - 6:10 pm