Four home runs accounted for the early scoring, as each team hit two home runs while the Pirates built a 3-2 lead. It came down to the bottom of the ninth, as Ryan Braun hit a single and Jonathan Lucroy and Mark Reynolds walked to load the bases with no outs. Khris Davis followed them up with an RBI single to send the Brewers home with a walk-off.
With the early game yesterday and the Brewers traveling afterwards, it was a very quiet news day for the Brewers yesterday. Here's the few news items for today.
- One of the surprises of the Brewers season has been their good defense. Jonathan Judge of Disciples of Uecker looks at the defensive numbers that the Brewers have put together.
- Could the Brewers win 100 games this season? They probably won't reach that point, but Mike Bauman of MLB.com says the Brewers have something special going this season.
- What are the unwritten rules of retaliation? Enrique Bakemeyer of The Brewers Bar takes a minute to try to figure out what they are.
- The Brewers bullpen has been great so far, but the schedule could catch up with them. Jim Hoehn of MLB.com notes that the lack of off days could hurt the bullpen.
- Today, the new movie Million Dollar Arm is opening in theaters. Cait of John & Cait had a chance to talk to Mark Ciardi, one of the movie's producers and a former Brewers pitcher.
- Miller Park will host a pro soccer game for the first time this year, and Jim Hoehn has details on the event.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||21-19||Oklahoma City 4, Nashville 2||
Friday: Oklahoma City @ Nashville
Saturday: Oklahoma City @ Nashville
Sunday: Oklahoma City @ Nashville
|Huntsville Stars||AA||27-14||Huntsville 8, Birmingham 1||
Friday: Birmingham @ Huntsville
Saturday: Birmingham @ Huntsville
Sunday: Birmingham @ Huntsville
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||20-18||Fort Myers @ Brevard County
Friday: Brevard County @ Jupiter
Saturday: Brevard County @ Jupiter
Sunday: Brevard County @ Jupiter
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||19-20||Wisconsin 4, Peoria 3||
Friday: Wisconsin @ Peoria
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Peoria
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Peoria
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Reds @ Phillies
Friday: Alfredo Simon vs. Kyle Kendrick
Saturday: Homer Bailey vs. Cole Hamels
Sunday: TBD vs. Cliff Lee
- Pirates @ Yankees
Friday: Edinson Volquez vs. David Phelps
Saturday: Charlie Morton vs. Hiroki Kuroda
Sunday: Gerrit Cole vs. TBD
- Braves @ Cardinals
Friday: Ervin Santana vs. Lance Lynn
Saturday: Aaron Harang vs. Shelby Miller
Sunday: Gavin Floyd vs. Jaime Garcia
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers make their first trip to Wrigley Field this season for a weekend series in Chicago. Here are the weekend matchups:
Friday: Kyle Lohse vs. Jeff Samardzija - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Matt Garza vs. Edwin Jackson - 1:20 pm
Sunday: Marco Estrada* vs. Travis Wood - 1:20 pm
* - As of this writing, Wily Peralta is actually listed on Brewers.com instead. However, there haven't been any reports of a change to the rotation.
Make sure to make your weekend more interesting by taking in a dose of Prognostikeggers as well.