Marco Estrada's problems with the home run ball continued last night, though they were amplified by walks. Estrada allowed two home runs in the game, and the extra four runs that were on base between those two home runs came as a result of four walks issued by Estrada, including three in the seventh inning. Lyle Overbay ended up leading the offense with a 2-for-4 days with an RBI, and Carlos Gomez also had an RBI in the loss.
Unfortunately, I'm having some computer issues today, and my feed reader isn't working as well, so we're going to go through the rest of the links in cram session style.
- Derek finished up his interview with Patrick Ebert of PerfectGame.org yesterday. The second part of their interview focused on round two through ten of the draft.
- We started a new series on constructing an All-Star roster for the NL yesterday. Part one covered the catchers, and asked if Jonathan Lucroy can finally make it on the team.
- Noah looked at how vote totals for the All-Star game starters have changed since the first announced totals, as well as who has gained the most and fewest votes.
- Derek provided a series preview for the Mets series, breaking down each of the starting pitcher matchups.
- Some good news on Tyler Thornburg came out yesterday. Tim Healey of Brewers.com reports that Thornburg's UCL is fine and does not need Tommy John surgery, though the exact issue with his elbow is still unknown.
- Yesterday's lineup featured Scooter Gennett leading off and Jean Segura batting eighth. Tim Healey has some comments from Ron Roenicke explaining his thoughts on the move.
- On yesterday's episode of Off the Bat from the MLB Fan Cave, Carlos Gomez was one of the hosts for the episode. If you missed it, it will be airing again early tomorrow morning at 2:30 am, as well as Sunday at 9 am on MTV2.
- John & Cait have some more details for Friday's unveiling of the Brewers walk of fame.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||36-30||Nashville 2, Reno 1||Reno @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||42-24||Huntsville 7, Chattanooga 6||Chattanooga @ Huntsville|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||33-29||Brevard County @ Lakeland
|Brevard County @ Lakeland
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||32-32||Beloit 9, Wisconsin 6||Beloit @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||7-2||DSL Brewers 6, DSL Braves 3||DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Wisconsin played its longest game in team history last night, a 17-inning loss to Beloit.
- The minor-league season is at the halfway point, and Caitlin Swieca of Brewers.com has some highlights from the first half of the season, led by Huntsville's playoff berth.
- The Brewer Nation blog has the tentative roster for the Helena Brewers. Their season begins on Monday. They also have a podcast covering the 2014 draft for the Brewers.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jason Hammel) @ Pirates (Brandon Cumpton) - 6:05 pm
- Dodgers (Hyun-Jin Ryu) @ Reds (Johnny Cueto) - 6:10 pm
- Cardinals (Michael Wacha) @ Rays (Erik Bedard) - 6:10 pm
The series against the Mets continues this evening. Wily Peralta will duel Mets rookie Jacob deGrom in game two of the series. First pitch is at 6:10 pm, and Alex Halsted of MLB.com has the preview.