A pitcher's duel dominated most of the game, with Kyle Lohse pitching eight strong innings and Jonathan Niese matching with 6 2/3 good innings of his own. The game went into extra innings, and after enduring a 3 minute rain delay and a bases loaded jam in the 12th inning, the Brewers finally broke through in the 13th inning. They scored four runs in the 13th, led by a two-run home run from Jonathan Lucroy. Francisco Rodriguez finished the game in the 13th inning to secure the series win for the Brewers.
It may be time for Jimmy Nelson to join the rotation.
After Marco Estrada's most recent bad start on Tuesday, and another great start from Jimmy Nelson in the minors, the talk to get Nelson in the rotation is increasing. With a competing team, allowing an underperforming starter to remain in the rotation is not something they can do for too long. Yesterday, Jordan asked the question that everyone is asking, if it is time to promote Jimmy Nelson. Nelson's performance in the minors may force the Brewers hand, especially if Estrada continues to struggle. If everything remains as is, it's only a matter of time before the change happens.
The Brewers need to get something for Brad Mills.
While Jimmy Nelson is tearing up the competition in Nashville, Brad Mills is also performing very well there as well. Unfortunately, there's no space for him on the Brewers roster, and an opt-out date is coming up this weekend. What should the Brewers do? Derek had a proposal yesterday, saying that the Brewers should trade Mills. While a trade for a role player could be tough, there's another possibility by trading for international slot money. Something has to be done this weekend, it's just a question of what it will be.
- The BCB NL All-Star series continued yesterday with a look at second base.
- Jonathan Lucroy is one of the most undervalued players in the game. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has a profile of the catcher and how he has struggled to get respect throughout his career.
- Lucroy has also been performing well at the plate in this time. Tim Healey of Brewers.com looks at the great season that Lucroy is putting together.
- Marco Estrada is the popular topic right now. Over on Disciples of Uecker, Ryan Topp asks what the Brewers should do with Estrada.
- Meanwhile, while the focus is on Marco Estrada, Yovani Gallardo has had his own struggles. Ben Tannenbaum of The Brewers Bar looks at what to expect from Gallardo.
- The Brewers have signed seven more of their draft picks. Tim Healey has details on the signings.
- While in New York, Ron Roenicke and a group of other people went to MLB's command center to check out how replays are conducted. Tim Healey has some details on the visit.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||38-30||Nashville 12, Reno 6||
Friday: Tacoma @ Nashville
Saturday: Tacoma @ Nashville
Sunday: Tacoma @ Nashville
|Huntsville Stars||AA||44-24||Huntsville 11, Chattanooga 5||
Friday: Chattanooga @ Huntsville
Saturday: Chattanooga @ Huntsville
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||33-30||Lakeland 3, Brevard County 0||All-Star Break|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||34-32||Wisconsin 8, Beloit 2||
Friday: Wisconsin @ Quad Cities
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Quad Cities
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Quad Cities
|DSL Brewers||R||7-4||DSL Tigers 6, DSL Brewers 4||
Friday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Tigers
Saturday: DSL Blue Jays @ DSL Brewers
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Nationals @ Cardinals
Friday: Jordan Zimmermann vs. Lance Lynn - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Stephen Strasburg vs. Shelby Miller - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Doug Fister vs. Jaime Garcia - 1:15 pm
- Pirates @ Marlins
Friday: Jeff Locke vs. Nathan Eovaldi - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Charlie Morton vs. Randy Wolf - 3:10 pm
Sunday: TBD vs. Henderson Alvarez - 12:10 pm
- Cubs @ Phillies
Friday: Jake Arrieta vs. Roberto Hernandez - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Edwin Jackson vs. David Buchanan - 2:05 pm
Sunday: Travis Wood vs. AJ Burnett - 12:35 pm
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers return home for a quick three-game homestand against the Reds. Here are the weekend's matchups:
Friday: Homer Bailey vs. Matt Garza - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Tony Cingrani vs. Yovani Gallardo - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Mike Leake vs. Marco Estrada - 1:10 pm