Yovani Gallardo continued his awesome June and his dominance over the Diamondbacks with seven strong innings of one-run ball. It was a pitcher's duel for the first four innings, with both pitchers locking down the other side. Meanwhile, on the offensive side, the Brewers managed to score four runs despite Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy getting the day off. Aramis Ramirez and Lyle Overbay each had two hits and drove in one run. Francisco Rodriguez came in the ninth inning to close it out to give the Brewers the series win.
- Could the video ad that the Brewers made for Jonathan Lucroy hurt his chances at the All-Star game? Noah looks at that possibility.
- Meanwhile, over at Viva El Birdos, Ben Humphrey has a take on the ad from the Cardinals side.
- Marco Estrada has put together a very unique season. Fred Hofstetter analyzes what Estrada has done so far this season and if he can turn it around.
- Our series on the NL All-Star Roster continued yesterday with the starting pitchers.
- Adam McCalvy notes that the next time Ryan Braun plays in a game, he will be the 12th player in franchise history to play 1,000 games for the Brewers.
- With his single on Thursday, Carlos Gomez extended his hitting streak to 15 games and on-base streak to 32 games. Adam McCalvy notes the on-base streak is 6th longest in franchise history.
- The Brewers have some starting pitching depth that is starting to come together in the minors. Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker looks at the future of the starting rotation.
- Yesterday, we noted that Jonathan Lucroy won't allow pitchers to throw at opposing batter's heads. It appears that Ron Roenicke has a similar position on throwing at players.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||38-37||Las Vegas 6, Nashville 2||
Friday: Nashville @ Las Vegas
Saturday: Nashville @ Salt Lake
Sunday: Nashville @ Salt Lake
|Huntsville Stars||AA||46-25||Pensacola 7, Huntsville 2||
Friday: Huntsville @ Pensacola
Saturday: Huntsville @ Pensacola
Sunday: Huntsville @ Pensacola
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||36-31||Daytona 7, Brevard County 4||
Friday: Brevard County @ Daytona
Saturday: Brevard County @ Daytona
Sunday: Brevard County @ Daytona
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||36-33||Wisconsin @ Burlington
Friday: Wisconsin @ Burlington (DH)
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Burlington
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Burlington
|DSL Brewers||R||11-6||DSL Brewers 4, DSL Astros Orange 1||
Friday: DSL Astros Orange @ DSL Brewers
Saturday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Tigers
|Helena Brewers||R||1-3||Billings 16, Helena 7||
Friday: Billings @ Helena
Saturday: Helena @ Missoula
Sunday: Helena @ Missoula
Friday: AZL Brewers @ AZL Reds
Saturday: AZL Reds @ AZL Brewers
Sunday: AZL Indians @ AZL Brewers
News & Notes
- Hiram Burgos underwent right shoulder surgery on Thursday. While the surgery wasn't serious, it may keep him out for the rest of the season.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
- Phillies 4, Cardinals 1
- Pirates 4, Reds 3
- Cubs had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Phillies @ Cardinals
Friday: A.J. Burnett vs. Jaime Garcia
Saturday: Cole Hamels vs. Adam Wainwright
Sunday: Kyle Kendrick vs. Carlos Martinez
- Blue Jays @ Reds
Friday: Liam Hendriks vs. Mat Latos
Saturday: J.A. Happ vs. Mike Leake
Sunday: R.A. Dickey vs. Johnny Cueto
- Pirates @ Cubs
Friday: Charlie Morton vs. Edwin Jackson
Saturday: Vance Worley vs. Travis Wood
Sunday: Brandon Cumpton vs. Jason Hammel
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers head to Colorado for a weekend series against the Rockies. Here are this weekend's matchups:
Friday: Marco Estrada vs. Christian Bergman
Saturday: Wily Peralta vs. Christian Friedrich
Sunday: Kyle Lohse vs. Tyler Matzek