HR: Josh Rutledge (2)
I was at the game tonight, so I'm just going to hit the highlights of the game quick:
- Kyle Lohse made the start for the Brewers and was dominant, allowing one run in seven innings. Though he did give up seven hits and two walks, his stuff was very good and he kept the Rockies in check.
- On the other side, Tyler Matzek bounced back from a rough start his last time against the Brewers. He only allowed one run in six innings, allowing five hits and striking out three.
- After a pitchers duel for five innings, the Brewers got on the board first in the sixth. Rickie Weeks doubled to start the inning, then Jonathan Lucroy brought him home with an RBI single.
- The Rockies answered in the seventh with small ball. Josh Rutledge led off the seventh with a double, and Ryan Wheeler moved him up with a single. After a Michael McKenry groundout, Brandon Barnes laid down a sacrifice bunt, and Josh Rutledge scored.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Khris Davis led off the inning with a double and Mark Reynolds walked to put two runners on. A Jean Segura sacrifice bunt moved them to second and third, and then came the chess match between Ron Roenicke and Walt Weiss. Roenicke sent up Lyle Overbay to pinch hit. Weiss responded by putting Rex Brothers in the game. Roenicke countered with Martin Maldonado. After an embarrassing attempt to walk on ball three, Maldonado struck out. Rickie Weeks followed that with a walk, and Weiss decided to put Adam Ottavino in to face Ryan Braun. The result: an RBI HBP that gave the Brewers a 2-1 lead.
- Both sides went in order in the eighth inning. Will Smith went 1-2-3 in his half of the inning. Adam Ottavino allowed a single to Carlos Gomez, who then tried to steal second. At first, he was called safe (and checked out for a potential head injury), but the play was reviewed and overturned. Ramirez and Davis went down in order to end the inning.
- Francisco Rodriguez came in to pitch the ninth. He got Corey Dickerson to pop out, but Josh Rutledge homered to tie the game at 2-2. Rodriguez finished the inning with strikeouts of Ryan Wheeler and Michael McKenry.
- Matt Belisle came on to pitch for the Rockies in the ninth. He started off allowing a single to Mark Reynolds. Jean Segura laid down another sacrifice bunt to get Reynolds to second. Scooter Gennett came in to pinch hit, but was intentionally walked. Rickie Weeks followed that with a strikeout, but a passed ball in the at-bat allowed Reynolds and Gennett to move up. Ryan Braun came up with two outs, and hit the first pitch right up the middle for a walk-off RBI single.