Matt Garza finally put together a good start while getting some run support. He pitched 6 1/3 scoreless innings, striking out eight and walking two while giving up six hits. Meanwhile, the offense came together, taking a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning and expanding it to 4-0 from a Mark Reynolds home run. Jonathan Lucroy also added a solo home run in the win.
We got an intro to the MLB Draft yesterday.
We're now two days away from the MLB First Year Player Draft. There's a lot to know about the draft before it starts on Thursday. Yesterday, Derek ran down how the draft works and what to expect. There's a lot to know about the draft, including how the picks will work, how much the Brewers have to spend on signings, and the extra picks the Brewers will get. It's good to know all of this as you prepare for the draft at the end of this week.
- As the 2014 draft approaches, Brad Krause of Miller Park Prospects looks back at the 2013 draft and how the players from that draft are performing.
- Ron Roenicke took a little time to look in on the Brewers draft preparations this week. Adam McCalvy has some thoughts from Roenicke on the draft preparations.
The Batting Order
- Does batting the pitcher eighth make sense for the Brewers? Ryan Topp of Disciples of Uecker looks at how it could play out for the team.
- Enrique Bakemeyer of The Brewers Bar also has some opinions on batting the pitcher eighth.
- Adam Weiser of Disciples of Uecker looks at how the Brewers have provided protection for Jean Segura in the Brewers lineup.
- Fox Sports has the Brewers up one spot to #3.
- Sports Illustrated put the Brewers at #4, up four spots.
- MLB.com also has the Brewers at #4.
- Justin Schultz of Reviewing the Brew has the Brewers up one spot at #5.
- ESPN.com also raised the Brewers one spot, up to #6.
- Jordan put together a series preview for the first two games of the Twins series yesterday, previewing the first two starting matchups.
- Adam McCalvy notes that Aramis Ramirez is on track to return from the DL on Wednesday.
- What is behind Carlos Gomez's style of play? Matt Yallof of MLB.com took the opportunity to sit down with Gomez and learn more about his style.
- Paul Molitor is in Milwaukee for the Twins series as a coach for the Twins. Adam McCalvy has some quotes from Molitor on what it's like to see his number retired.
- Jesse Lawrence of Reviewing the Brew notes that ticket prices for the games at Miller Park are below average for the two games against the Twins.
- John & Cait has a review of the this series special food, a Cajun Seared Walleye Reuben.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||32-27||Nashville 4, Iowa 1||Iowa @ Nashville|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||39-19||Jackson 9, Huntsville 4||Huntsville @ Jackson|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||29-27||Charlotte 2, Brevard County 1
Brevard County 3, Charlotte 0
|Brevard County @ Charlotte|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||26-31||Quad Cities 7, Wisconsin 4
Wisconsin 4, Quad Cities 3
|DSL Brewers||R||1-1||DSL Tigers 11, DSL Brewers 7||DSL Angels @ DSL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Aramis Ramirez went 2-for-4 in the second game of a doubleheader for Wisconsin. Kyle attended the doubleheader and has a recap of the action.
- Jimmy Nelson took home pitcher of the month honors for the Brewers minor league system, and Jason Rogers got honors for player of the month. Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has more details on the awards.
- Meanwhile, Andy Moye got honors for pitcher of the week in the Southern League as Huntsville pushes towards a playoff birth.
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
Today's Division Games
- Giants (Tim Lincecum) @ Reds (Homer Bailey) - 6:10 pm
- Royals (James Shields) @ Cardinals (Jaime Carcia) - 6:15 pm
- Mets (Zach Wheeler) @ Cubs (Jake Arrieta) - 7:05 pm
- Pirates (Gerrit Cole) @ Padres (Jesse Hahn) - 9:10 pm
The Brewers conclude their homestand tonight with their second game in their series against the Twins. Yovani Gallardo starts for the Brewers and Samuel Deduno goes for the Twins. First pitch is at the traditional 7:10 pm start time, and Alex Smith of MLB.com has the preview.