The game started as a pitcher's duel, then it turned into a chess match in the later innings. The Brewers and Rockies traded runs for a few innings, with the Brewers getting the last run in the bottom of the ninth from a Ryan Braun walk-off RBI single.
The Brewers took an early 3-0 lead, then pushed it to 6-0 with another three-run inning. The Rockies made an attempt at a comeback in the late innings, but the Brewers hung on through a couple of injuries to get the win.
The Brewers couldn't pull off the season sweep of the Rockies. The Rockies built an early 5-0 lead, and while the Brewers put together a couple of attempts at a comeback, the Rockies kept adding on and built the lead up to 10-4.
The Brewers are dealing with a couple of injuries.
On Saturday, the Brewers suffered a couple of injuries during their game. Jean Segura came out with leg cramps, and then Carlos Gomez left with a neck injury after a small collision with Ryan Braun in the outfield. Neither injury was serious, though both sat out Sunday's game. According to Adam McCalvy, both should be back for Tuesday's game, though there's a better chance of Gomez returning over Segura. Two days off should be enough for both of them, though we will have to wait and see if they are in the lineup Tuesday.
To help deal with the injuries, the Brewers made a roster move.
Taking both injuries on Saturday left the Brewers in a tough position. With a short bench, the Brewers only replacement at both center field and shortstop was Elian Herrera. As a result, with Herrera playing at shortstop, Ryan Braun had to cover center field and Mark Reynolds came in to play right field. The Brewers made it through the game, and then made a call-up before Sunday's game. They put Jeff Bianchi back on the 40-man roster and called him up to the active roster, sending Alfredo Figaro back to Nashville. The move had been planned for later in the week, but the injuries moved up the change.
- Should the Brewers trade for Bobby Abreu? Derek Harvey asked that question on Friday.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel asks if the Brewers will try to recreate the CC Sabathia magic with David Price.
- AK of Ron Roenicke Stole My Baseball reviewed the bullpen situation at the halfway point of the season.
- Adam McCalvy notes that part of Carlos Gomez's daily routine involves taking some BP left-handed.
- The Brewers went back to an old roof alignment on Saturday, partially closing the roof over the right half of the field to combat the shadows.
- Wei-Chung Wang passed an important milestone on Friday, collecting 90 days of MLB service time.
- The Bucks first-round pick made an appearance at Miller Park, and Caitlin Moyer of John & Cait has some pictures and details from the visit.
Minor League Update
Friday: Nashville, 5, New Orleans 0
Saturday: Nashville 13, New Orleans 0
Sunday: Nashville 6, New Orleans 4
|Memphis @ Nashville|
Friday: Huntsville 4, Montgomery 3
Saturday: Huntsville 7, Montgomery 4
Sunday: Huntsville 9, Mississippi 7
|Huntsville @ Mississippi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||44-33||
Friday: Brevard County 8, Clearwater 4
Saturday: Brevard County 6, Clearwater 4
Sunday: Brevard County 5, Clearwater 3
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||42-37||
Friday: Burlington 5, Wisconsin 4
Saturday: Wisconsin 6, Burlington 1
Sunday: Burlington 5, Wisconsin 3
|Burlington @ Wisconsin|
Friday: DSL Blue Jays 9, DSL Brewers 1
Saturday: DSL Braves 8, DSL Brewers 5
|DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers|
Friday: Helena 13, Billings 2
Saturday: Helena 8, Billings 1
Sunday: Billings 4, Helena 3
|Helena @ Billings|
Friday: AZL Brewers 5, AZL Padres 3
Saturday: AZL Brewers 10, AZL Padres 6
|AZL Mariners @ AZL Brewers|
Check out morineko's daily minor league update for a more in-depth look at yesterday's minor league results.
- Reds @ Giants
Friday: Reds 6, Giants 2
Saturday: Reds 7, Giants 3 (11 Innings)
Sunday: Reds 4, Giants 0
- Cardinals @ Dodgers
Friday: Cardinals 3, Dodgers 1
Saturday: Dodgers 9, Cardinals 1
Sunday: Dodgers 6, Cardinals 0
- Mets @ Pirates
Friday: Pirates 3, Mets 2 (11 Innings)
Saturday: Mets 5, Pirates 3
Sunday: Pirates 5, Mets 2
- Nationals @ Cardinals
Friday: Cubs 7, Nationals 2
Saturday: Nationals 3, Cubs 0
Saturday: Nationals 7, Cubs 2
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jake Arrieta) @ Red Sox (Jake Peavy) - 6:10 pm
- Reds (Mat Latos) @ Padres (Jesse Hahn) - 9:10 pm
- Cardinals and Pirates have the day off.
The Brewers have their first day off in three weeks today. They return to action early tomorrow afternoon in Toronto.