Just a short two-game series this time.
Here are some quick, basic stats on the Reds thus far this year:
Current Record: 21-16 (First in NL Central)
Runs Scored: 177
Runs Allowed: 178
Best Batting Average: Ramon Hernandez (.300)
Best OBP: Ramon Hernandez (.417)
Best SLG: Joey Votto (.526)
Most HR: Joey Votto (8)
Most RBI: Joey Votto (24)
Most Strikeouts (Hitter): Drew Stubbs (40)
Most Strikeouts (Pitcher): Aaron Harang (41)
Most Walks (Pitcher): Mike Leake (20)
Best ERA: Arthur Rhodes (0.6x0)
Best ERA+: Arthur Rhodes (729)
Wikipedia facts following the jump
- This is a pretty well known one, but Bronson Arroyo is a "rock musician". He released an album called "Covering the Bases" that included covers of Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Incubus, and more.
- Laynce Nix spells his name funny. Apparently his parents really like the letter y in odd places, though, as Nix's brother is named Jayson.
- Joey Votto is Canadian, so there is hope that Doug Melvin will be able to bring him to the Brewers.
- Jonny Gomes had a friends initials tattooed on his bicep after that friend died in a car accident that Gomes was a passenger in at the age of 16.
- Jay Bruce is nicknamed "Bruce Almighty", "The Beaumont Bomber", and "The Deal".
- In 2008, Micah Owings hit the first pinch hit HR by a pitcher since 2004. The pitcher who hit it in 2004? None other than Brooks Kieschnick.
- Homer Bailey released a wine called "Homer Bailey's Chardonnay". All profits from the sales of the wine go to Outdoors Without Limits, helping breakdown barriers that prevent disabled people from enjoying the outdoors.
- Pedro Martinez threw his 3000th strikeout against Reds pitcher Aaron Harang.
- Mike Leake is the first player to go directly from the draft to the Major League baseball team since Xavier Nady in 2000.
- Daniel Herrera is apparently the only pitcher in the majors who throws a true screwball.
- "In 2001, [Arthur] Rhodes was pitching against the Cleveland Indians when Indians shortstop Omar Vizquel said that Rhodes' diamond earrings were cascading in the sun and were distracting him from seeing the ball correctly. This incited an argument between both teams that led to Rhodes' ejection from the game."
- Ramon Hernandez hit the first cycle in the history of the Caribbean Series.
- Albertin Aroldis Chapman De La Cruz's father is a boxing trainer.
- Someone is confident in Philippe Valiquette's abilities. Quoted on his wikipedia page, "On March 18th 2010, this powerful LHP was optioned to Double-A Carolina Mudcats until he gets recalled later this season." (Emphasis theirs)
- Edinson Volquez signed with the Texas Rangers out of the Dominican Republic under the name Julio Reyes.