W: Zach Duke (4-9)
L: Randy Wolf (7-9)
HR: George Kottaras (8), Delwyn Young (4), Pedro Alvarez 2 (7)
MVP: George Kottaras (+.085)
LVP: Randy Wolf (-.597)
Win Expectancy Graph and Star of the Game Voting
SB Nation Coverage
If you watched tonight's game I hope you enjoyed the small taste of history. Randy Wolf allowed twelve earned runs tonight, on 13 hits and two walks, in 5.2 innings of work. Now, I know what you're thinking: "12 earned runs. That's pretty bad, right?"*
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Actually, it's historically bad:
- Wolf is just the second pitcher in franchise history to allow 12 earned runs. Bill Travers was the other: He allowed 14 earned runs in game two of a doubleheader on August 14, 1977.
- Wolf is only the second pitcher in all of baseball this season to do it: Scott Kazmir allowed 13 on July 10.
- Brian Anderson mentioned that the Brewers are the first team to have three starting pitchers allow ten runs in a four game stretch since the 1937 St. Louis Browns.
- Tonight's 15 runs was a season-high for the Pirates. It's only the sixth time all year they reached double digits.
- Prince Fielder was hit by another pitch tonight, his fourth in six games.
- Rickie Weeks went 0-for-4 with a walk, ending his hitting streak at seven games.
- Lorenzo Cain went 1-for-2. He's likely headed back to the minors tomorrow after going 3-for-5 in limited playing time with the team.
- Carlos Gomez went 1-for-3 and probably isn't going anywhere.