Updated on 6/26
The call came in on Thursday afternoon. After a successful run in the FanPosts, Brew Crew Ball GM/Editor Kyle Lobner made the call. Prognostikeggers has been called up from the FanPosts and promoted to the front page!
Let's start with the basic question some of you have. What is Prognostikeggers? To put is simply, Prognostikeggers is a game prediction contest. For each game, you will make a prediction in the comments section. Predictions are based on attendance, the line score, MVP for the game, a series-specific prediction, and a bonus prediction. The more you get right, the more points you score. Points are accumulated on a weekly basis and overall for the season. Anyone is welcome to join at any time. There is no sign up required. If you want to start, read the rules and make your first prediction!
I would recommend that those of you who have been playing since the start re-read the rules, as a few things have been tweaked starting this week.
Through Sunday, here are the top three for the week:
|Rank||Person||Points for Week|
Including the standings through Sunday of this week, here are the top three in the overall standings:
|2||Officer Jim Lahey||27|
Check out the full standings, a review of the rules, and more after the jump.
For full rules, check out the original FanPost with the complete rules.
I would like to start by saying that this is not my original idea. Here's the background behind it. As I've visited the different SB Nation baseball blogs, I've noticed the different ways that blogs have helped their fans feel connected. When I visited the (Fish Stripes), I noticed this simple contest that they put together. For every game, anyone could post a prediction about what would happen during the game. It's simple, anyone can participate, and it can provide a new way to feel connected to other people on the blog. (Click here for a link to the original game that they put together.) That idea is where Prognostikeggers started, and it has evolved from that to the format it is in today.blog
Each day, you will make a series of predictions based on that day's game.
- Line Score (Runs-Hits-Errors)
- Brewers' MVP by WPA
- Series-Specific Prediction (Sausage Race for home series, away series will be announced before each series.)
- Bonus Prediction (A prediction of your choice.)
Here's the further explanation of each.
- Attendance - Predict the attendance for each game. Anyone within 1,000 of the actual attendance will get 1 point. If no one is within 1,000 of the actual attendance, whoever is closest will get 1 point. (This is changed from the last series, and this number will be a starting point. It may increase or decrease based on results.)
- Line score - Predict the line score for the game in the following format: Runs-Hits-Errors. For each section of the line score you get correct, you get 1 point.
- MVP by WPA - In the recap for each day's game, there is a MVP for the Brewers based on win probability added (WPA). Each person who correctly predicts this player will get 1 point. All people who make this prediction correctly will get 1 point.
- Extra Series Prediction - Make a prediction that is based on each series. If it's a home series, predict the winner of the sausage race. If it's a road series, read the post for that series, find the extra prediction to make, and make a prediction based on that. Exact rules for each prediction will be put in that extra prediction. Each person who hits the prediction gets 1 point.
- Bonus Prediction - Make a prediction about the game that would be extraordinary for the game. If your prediction happens, you will receive bonus points for the day. You can receive up to 3 bonus points based on what you predict. For the full guidelines on the bonus prediction, read the full rules from the FanPost. However, here is the basic rule of thumb for how to hit bonus predictions:
25% of games or less (around 41 games a season) – 1 point
10% of games or less (around 16 games a season) – 2 points
5% of games or less (around 8 games a season) – 3 points
Here are the rules for the contest.
- Predictions must be posted in the series prediction FanPost under the comment section for that day by the start of the game. This is just for my own ease of finding these predictions each day. (I will allow a grace period of 5 minutes after first pitch for you to get your entry in, but if I feel like you're taking advantage of the first few at-bats to aid your prediction, I have the right to not count it.)
- Predictions should be posted in the following format. (There is a slight change to the posting format, it is just to help me with entering results.)
Title Bar: Prediction for [Date]
It should look something like this
Prediction for Friday
Line Score: 4-9-0
MVP: Jonathan Lucroy
Sausage Race: Italian
Bonus: Morgan hits a triple.
- Only one prediction set may be made by any person each day. You are allowed to update your prediction as many times as you want, but only the last version of it counts. Make all changes as replies to your original prediction.
- On the day of a double header, be sure to differentiate your predictions between game 1 and 2. There should be two comments to reply on for a double-header, but be careful about differentiating the games.
- Weeks run from Monday to Sunday.
That finishes up the rules.
Extra Prediction for the Series: Sausage Race! Who will win the race each night? Pick one sausage to win the race for each day. (Note: If the game goes into extra innings to the point there is an additional race, you can get a point as well for picking the winner of that race. Only pick one sausage each day, that sausage will count for all races that occur in that game.)
That's all there is to it. If you're ready, make your first prediction in the comments section. Have any questions or suggestions for Prognostikeggers? Make them in the comments section below.
Here's the #1 rule here: Have fun with it! There's nothing on the line beyond bragging rights.
Good luck this week!
Weekly Standings - Through Sunday 6/26
|Rank||Person||Points for Week|
|T5||Officer Jim Lahey||10|
|T25||Infield Fly Rule||5|
Overall Standings - Through Sunday 6/26
|2||Officer Jim Lahey||27|
|T27||Infield Fly Rule||7|