The 1996 Brewers weren't a very good team. They entered play on this day at 44-47, 10.5 games back in the AL Central. The Tigers, however, were worse. They had started the season 13-41 and had to rally to get back to 28-55 before this contest.
As one might expect, not many fans (12,476) showed up to watch a Tuesday night game between these two juggernauts. The Brewers almost scored a run for each of them.
After being held scoreless for two innings, the Crew put up two runs in the third, seven more in the fourth, one in the fourth, four in the sixth and three each in the seventh and eighth en route to a 20-7 victory. Greg Vaughn had a grand slam and an RBI single in the game to push his AL-leading RBI total to 88: At this point he was on pace for 155 runs batted in on the season, but two weeks later he was traded to the Padres.
With help from Brewerfan.net and the B-Ref Play Index, happy birthday today to:
- Brevard County Manatee Nick Bucci, who turns 21.
- 1970 Brewer Bob Burda, who turns 72.
- Huntsville Star Lee Haydel, who turned 24.
- 2001-02 Brewer Nick Neugebauer, who turned 30.
- 1901 Milwaukee Brewer Pete Dowling, who would have turned 135.