News and Notes:
- continued their early season domination of NL Central rivals with a 3-1 victory against the Reds.
- First Baseman Lance Berkman was forced to leave Tuesday's game early due to a strained calf.
- are looking forward to their home opener after beginning the year with consecutive series' on the road.
- are asking the question: Albert who? So far, so good in the post-Pujols era.
- injured starter Chris Carpenter is set to undergo more tests on his problematic shoulder in the coming week.
- Second Base prospect Kolten Wong hit his first professional Home Run and First Baseman Matt Adams has gotten off to a great start at Triple-A Memphis.
- and Second Baseman Brandon Phillips have come to terms on a contract extension, one which makes the Rickie Weeks contract look even better by comparison.
- will be without the newly extended Phillips for the next several days.
- are taking a risk with the recent extensions given to Joey Votto and the aforementioned Phillips.
- starter Charlie Morton has rejoined the big league club and is expected to make his first Major League start of the year this coming weekend.
- for better or worse have been playing interesting, entertaining, and close ballgames throughout the first week of the young season.
- and the San Diego Padres completed a deal this past weekend involving left handed reliever Brian Tallet.
- Shortstop Starlin Castro had his consecutive games reaching base streak snapped on Monday night in the opener against the Brewers.
- First Base prospect Anthony Rizzo went deep twice for Triple-A Iowa on Monday night in a 10-6 victory over the Albuquerque Isotopes.
- injured Shortstop Jed Lowrie will make a pair of rehab starts at Triple-A Oklahoma City and is on schedule to rejoin the Astros when they face the Marlins in Miami on Friday.
- are celebrating the franchise's 50th anniversary and will be wearing throwback jerseys throughout the season. The ones worn on Monday didn't help the club in their efforts as they fell to the Braves 6-4.
Here are your updated NL Central standings:
The Brewers will send Yovani Gallardo to the mound hoping he has a better outing than that of opening day. The Cubs will counter with Ryan Dempster in the game at Wrigley Field which is scheduled to start at 1:20 p.m. CDT.
Jamie Garcia and the Cardinals look to sweep away the Reds in the series finale at Great American Ballpark. Johnny Cueto will attempt to tame the Cardinals' bats. Game time is set for 11:35 a.m. CDT.
The Astros send Wandy Rodriguez to the hill against Randall Delgado and the Atlanta Braves looking win their second consecutive series to begin the year. The game in Houston is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CDT.
The Pirates continue their series against the Dodgers at 9:10 p.m. CDT. Erik Bedard is scheduled to take the mound for Pittsburgh opposite Dodgers starter Chad Billingsley.