News and Notes:
- Closer Brett Meyers is not being shopped according to GM Jeff Luhnow. San Francisco has been discussed as a possibility in light of Brian Wilson's elbow troubles.
- Astros notes including: Jordan Schafer and sliding, Travis Buck: starting MLB outfielder, and more on closer Brett Meyers.
- Ken Rosenthal video on the state of the Astros.
- The Cardinals have gotten off to a 7-3 start thanks in large part to their sizzling offense.
- Carlos Beltran is day-to-day after being forced to leave Sunday's game early after being hit in the right forearm by Cubs starter Paul Maholm.
- In other injury related news David Freese is also listed as day-to-day due to right hand irritation.
- The Boston Red Sox are reportedly looking for outfield help following the injury to Jacoby Ellsbury. Marlon Byrd is an option apparently being discussed.
- Great line in this piece: "After 16 years in St. Louis, he was well aware of the politics that come from leaving a Red State for a Blue State, and needed to hear it was the right move." Former Cardinal, now Cub, coach Dave McKay believes his new team will 'get good quickly.'
- Big money TV deals seem to be the new trend catching fire around MLB. Too bad for the PIrates, who are missing out.
- Not only is Joey Votto the highest paid Canadian baseball player, after his recent contract extension he is now the country's highest paid athlete.
- Apparently both the Reds and Cardinals are over their nasty incidents from last season... sure.
NL Central Standings:
The Brewers return to action against the Dodgers at Miller Park tonight at 7:10 p.m. CDT. Yovani Gallardo (1-1) looks to cool off the streaking Dodgers who have begun the year 9-1. Chad Billingsley (2-0) is looking to remain undefeated on the year.
The Astros continue their series against the Nationals in Washington at 6:05 p.m. CDT. Wandy Rodriguez (0-1) will start for Houston and will be opposed by Gio Gonzalez (0-0), who is still looking for his first win as a Nat.
The Cardinals and Reds begin a series and renew their rivalry in St. Louis tonight at 7:15 p.m. CDT. Kyle Lohse (2-0) looks to continue his hot start. Johnny Cueto (1-0) will take the ball for the Reds.
The Cubs are in Miami to begin a three game series against the Marlins. Game time is set for 6:10 p.m. CDT. Both starters, Ryan Dempster (0-1) for the Cubs and Josh Johnson (0-2) for the Marlins, are looking to pick up their first win of the season in tonight's game.
Pittsburgh will continue their series in Arizona against the D'backs tonight in a game that is scheduled for 8:40 p.m. CDT. Jeff Karstens (0-1) and Ian Kennedy (2-0) are the probable starters.