News and Notes
- The Astros have announced the rosters for their short season affiliates. Short season leagues are set to begin play early next week.
- The Astros haven't been shown much respect in the aftermath of Matt Cain's perfect game. More credit needs to go to Cain and less criticism should be thrown the Astros' way. If throwing perfect games was apparently this easy, no matter the opponent, why don't they happen more often?
- The Cubs have placed third baseman Ian Stewart on the disabled list. Stewart is seeking answers to his left wrist ailment which has been nagging him since last August.
- In other roster moves the Cubs have activated catcher Wellington Castillo from the disabled list. Koyie Hill was designated for assignment in a corresponding roster move. The club also added second baseman Luis Valbuena to the 40-man roster.
- Even in a 12-5 loss Indians starter Derek Lowe managed to ruffle the feathers of the Reds, especially manager Dusty Baker.
- Outfielder Chris Heisey and catcher Devin Mesoraco were both forced to leave Thursday's game early due to injuries. Heisey has a groin strain and Mesoraco left with side discomfort.
- Scott Rolen will begin a rehab assignment in Triple-A Louisville today.
- Right-hander Jeff Karstens threw a bullpen session Thursday and will begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Altoona on Tuesday.
- The Pirates are set to sign their first supplemental round pick today. Outfielder Barrett Barnes was taken by Pittsburgh with the 45th pick. In other signings the Pirates have also signed their third round pick, right-hander Jon Sandfort. Seventh round pick Jacob Stallings and 10th rounder Pat Ludwig have also signed.
- Pirates' right-hander Charlie Morton had Tommy John surgery on Thursday to repair a torn ligament ending his season. Morton will be out of action for at least one year.
- Don't MLB players get their flu shots? Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran was out of the starting lineup on Thursday due to a stomach virus. The virus was so bad Beltran was even forced into a trip to the Emergency Room.
- The Cardinals have signed third baseman/right-hander Carson Kelly, their second round pick, for $1.6 million, the highest over slot amount thus far. St. Louis also signed their 12th round pick, left-hander Max Foody.
- Former Cardinals infielder Aaron Miles has announced his retirement.
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Brewers||Twins||7:10||Yovani Gallardo (5-5)||Francisco Liriano (1-7)|
|Astros||Rangers||7:05||Jordan Lyles (1-2)||Yu Darvish (7-4)|
|Royals||Cardinals||7:15||Vin Mazzaro (2-1)||Kyle Lohse (6-1)|
|Red Sox||Cubs||1:20||Daisuke Matsuzaka (0-1)||Ryan Dempster (2-3)|
|Pirates||Indians||6:05||James McDonald (5-2)||Justin Masterson (2-6)|
|Reds||Mets||6:10||Bronson Arroyo (2-4)||Dillon Gee (4-4)|