News and Notes:
- As we all know the Crew have had pretty bad luck with injuries this season. They are not, however, the only team for which this is the case. The Reds have had their own injuries to work through and they have, unfortunately for Brewer fans, come through in flying colors.
- Drew Stubbs has been placed on the disabled list and Willie Harris has been called up to take his place for the Reds.
- Let's see if his next melt down is as entertaining as his first. The Cubs have restored Carlos Marmol as the closer.
- The Cubs have signed their supplemental first-round pick, right-hander Paul Blackburn. Blackburn, a high school product from California, was chosen by the Cubs with the No. 56 pick.
- In other draft news the Brewers have signed Tyrone Taylor, their second-round pick. Taylor was a two-sport star at his California high school. The Crew have also signed third-round pick Zach Quintana, a high school right-hander from Nevada.
- With regular starter Ian Stewart on the disabled list the Cubs will turn to utility man Luis Valbuena to fill in at third base.
- Top prospect Gerrit Cole has shown enough in A-ball. The Pirates right-hander is set to be promoted to Double-A Altoona.
- Astros reliever Wilton Lopez has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Left-hander Fernando Abad made his return from the DL to take Lopez's place on the roster. In other Astros injury news, first baseman Carlos Lee is on schedule to return from the disabled list for Sunday's series finale against the Rangers. Speaking of Lee, El Caballo homered in his first minor league rehab game.
- With his steal of second in the second inning in Friday night's game against the Royals, Carlos Beltran became the first switch hitter in MLB history with 300+ home runs and 300+ steals.
- The Cardinals will not demote struggling prospect Shelby Miller to Double-A, a move that would surely not be an encouraging one for the young right-hander.
- Danny Knobler of CBSsports.com has an interesting piece about the Brewers' actions come this summer's trade deadline.
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Brewers||Twins||1:10||Michael Fiers (1-2)||Liam Hendriks (0-2)|
|Astros||Rangers||6:15||Lucas Harrell (6-4)||Justin Grimm (0-0|
|Royals||Cardinals||1:15||Bruce Chen (5-6)||Joe Kelly (0-0)|
|Red Sox||Cubs||6:15||Jon Lester (3-4)||Jeff Samardzija (5-4)|
|Pirates||Indians||3:05||A. J. Burnett (6-2)||Ubaldo Jimenez (6-4)|
|Reds||Mets||6:15||Homer Bailey (4-4)||Jon Niese (4-2)|