News and Notes:
- Pending a physical, No. 1 pick Carlos Correa will be introduced as the newest Astro on Thursday. Correa and the Astros have a verbal agreement already in place. The agreement is said to be under slot, allowing the club to be aggressive in the later rounds, especially with their pick of Lance McCullers in the first supplemental round.
- Speaking of, McCullers, who was taken with pick No. 41, was named the Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year.
- These stories and more draft news curtesy of our friends at The Crawfish Boxes.
- The Reds have sent infielder Mike Costanzo to Triple-A Louisville and have replaced him with utility man Kristopher Negron.
- Injured third baseman Scott Rolen took batting practice for the first time since going on the disabled list on May 12.
- CBS Pittsburgh has a look back on the first two months of the season.
- Mark Appel appears to be the story of the draft, for a number of reasons, such as why did he fall, will he sign, and have the Pirates adapted their draft strategy in any way based on Appel. In any case, he certainly isn't endearing himself to garner any sympathy.
- Cubs' reliever Blake Parker has been placed on the 60-day disabled list. Manny Corpas will take his place in Chicago.
- Ryan Dempster, who can block a trade due to his 10-5 rights, doesn't seem opposed to a move to a contender.
- Instead of remaining with the team in Houston, Cardinals' starter Jaime Garcia has returned to St. Louis for another round of tests to try and discover what, if anything, is physically ailing the left-handed pitcher.
- In a pair of father-son moves in the draft the Cardinals have selected manager Mike Matheny's son Tate in the 23rd round and the Cubs took Dale Sveum's son Rusty in round 39.
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Cubs||Brewers||1:10||Matt Garza (2-4)||Randy Wolf (2-5)|
|Cardinals||Astros||7:05||Lance Lynn (8-2)||J.A. Happ (4-5|
|Pirates||Reds||6:10||Kevin Correia (2-5)||Mike Leake (2-5)|