News and Notes:
- The Astros have officially signed No. 1 Pick Carlos Correa. The signing was announced at a press conference yesterday afternoon. The deal is reportedly well below slot, allowing the Astros financial maneuverability to sign their other picks, notably high school right-hander Lance McCullers, a player who fell in part due to signability issues. Time will tell, but the Astros could very well come out huge winners in this draft.
- Pirates' right-hander Jeff Karstens was removed from his latest rehab start after feeling tightness in his right groin and will be further evaluated today.
- Count the Cubs among those interested in Cuban prospect Jorge Soler. Not to be outdone, the Astros are also interested in the outfielder.
- One of the stories of the early summer for the Cubs: Matt Garza trade speculation. In other trade noise, the relative competitiveness around the league should benefit the Cubs and other sellers.
- The banged up, and defensive liability when completely healthy, Alfonso Soriano will be used at DH for the Cubs in their up coming interleague series.
- A pair of injured Cubs' catchers are on the mend. Wellington Castillo will begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Tennessee today. Geovany Soto will also continue rehab work and an assignment for him could come next week.
- Astros infielder Marwin Gonzalez, who left Wednesday night's game early, had his injured right foot examined by team doctors.
- The Houston Chronicle has put together a nice breakdown of the Astros' draft.
- Injury updates for Drew Stubbs, Scott Rolen, and Nick Masset can be found here and here.
- It turns out Aroldis Chapman is human after all.
- Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder injury. Garcia will also see a second doctor today to get another opinion on what is causing the discomfort. In a related story the team has called up reliever Fernando Salas from Triple-A Memphis to take the place of Garcia on the active roster.
- I really love when MLB Trade Rumors does this.
|Away||Home||Time||Away Probable||Home Probable|
|Padres||Brewers||7:10||Edinson Volquez (2-5)||Shaun Marcum (4-3)|
|Astros||White Sox||7:10||Wandy Rodriguez (4-4)||Gavin Floyd (4-5)|
|Indians||Cardinals||7:15||Josh Tomlin (2-3)||Jake Westbrook (4-5)|
|Cubs||Twins||7:10||Travis Wood (0-2)||P.J. Waters (2-1)|
|Royals||Pirates||6:05||Luke Hocheavar (3-6)||Erik Bedard(3-6)|
|Tigers||Reds||6:10||Rick Porcello (3-4)||Bronson Arroyo (2-4)|