On this day in 1971 Elmer Dessens was born in Hermosillo, Mexico. He was 22 when the Pirates signed him as an amateur free agent in 1993 and pitched in the big leagues for the first time in 1996.
Dessens had moved on to Cincinnati for the 2000 season when he got his first real full-time opportunity and became the answer to a trivia question: On September 28 of that year he became the last pitcher ever to win a game at County Stadium. He pitched a complete game (the first of his career) two-hitter as the Reds beat the Brewers 8-1.
All told Dessens pitched 14 seasons in the majors, including 12 games as a Brewer in 2007. He has a career 4.44 ERA over 1174.1 innings, and made a playoff appearance as a member of the 2004 Dodgers.
- 2012 Brevard County Manatee Reggie Keen, who turns 25.
- 2012 Brevard County Manatee Eric Marzec, who turns 25.
- 2005-07 Brewer Jose Capellan, who turns 32.
- 1985-88 Brewer Billy Joe Robidoux, who turns 49. We covered his birthday in this space last year.
- 1988 Brewer Odell Jones, who turns 60.
- 1979 Brewer Bob Galasso, who turns 61.