At least one thing has worked out for the Brewers this season: Kyle Lohse has been pitching well after signing a big contract with the Brewers in the offseason.
This season, Lohse has a 3.69 ERA and 1.219 WHIP over 15 starts. He had a rough May with a 6.51 ERA and a rough .987 opponent OPS in five starts that month, but has come back with a very strong June. In fact, all five of his starts in June have been quality starts. His only non-May outing that was not a quality start came in April and was a result of him not making it six innings.
Lohse has faced six Pirates hitters at least ten times. Here is how they have fared:
Charlie Morton has been pitching well since returning from Tommy John surgery. Over three starts he has a 2.81 ERA and 1.250 WHIP. After a breakout 2011 season where he posted a 3.83 ERA, morton fell back to a 4.65 ERA over nine starts in 2012 before undergoing the surgery.
Morton has faced just two Brewers at least ten times. In 15 PA, Rickie Weeks has hit .077/.133/.077 while Aramis Ramirez has hit .333/.364/.333 in 11 PA.
In the bullpen:
- Brandon Kintzler pitched 1 inning (18 pitches) yesterday.
- Jim Henderson pitched 1 inning (9 pitches) yesterday.
- John Axford pitched 1 inning (15 pitches) yesterday.
- Tom Gorzelanny pitched 3.1 innings (54 pitches) Friday.
- Burke Badenhop pitched 2 innings (32 pitches) Friday.
- Mike Gonzalez pitched 1 inning (22 pitches) Friday.
- Francisco Rodriguez pitched one inning (eleven pitches) Thursday.